Almost certain large crab is molting. A few questions

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Almost certain large crab is molting. A few questions

Post by CrabbyJo »

you know, I know there are people with hermit crabs who live in very hot climates that stay in the 90's a good part of the time. I would imagine your crab will be okay at that temp. I would think in nature, though, that burrowing would be cooler than it is in a tank. Play it by ear. If you think your crab will be alright, and you do some research to make sure, then go with that. I'd research but I'm answering on my lunch break and don't have time to go looking. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If this is the temp of the thermometer on the inside tank wall, what is the actual temp of the substrate? It just maybe cooler than the air temp. (like if you touch the surface of a table or such in a room that is 80-80+ F*
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by llmercll »

Thanks everyone!

The temp gauge is actually right on top of the crabitat. My large crab knocked it down and I haven't gotten around to attaching it back on to its usual substrate level location.

I was kind of worried that he may not have been molting, and instead, buried because the heat was too much for him. Even with the AC on, the temp was still reading 84, and it was like that for a few weeks. But if some crabbers have theirs at 90 and the substrate is usually cooler, I'm a little less concerned =p

Also, we ended up getting the AC fixed for a reasonable price =) the technician was able to scrub the damaged part clean instead of needing a new one, so the ac is on now. The temp is now reading around 76.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Just yesterday my large crab emerged, being buried in the substrate for a little over a month. He looked well, but I can't tell if he molted or not, as his exo is always very vibrant and colorful.

What likely happened? Did he molt? was it a failed molt? Was he just down there for no reason? How can I tell?

thanks!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Does he have sharp black toenails at the ends of his legs? (they get these too at the end of their large pincher) Does he have hairy legs? Are his eyes parallel |_| and shiny? Does his antenna move fast like he is a conductor in an orchestra? If so, chances are he molted! :)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Yes!! He does have very sharp black toenails on each leg! The legs are hairy too, but they've always been fairly hairy.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

It sounds as if he may have molted! The sharp black toenails usually give it away, especially if they are like needle tips. Look closely and notice if you think he's more hairy than usual. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Yeah they are like needle tips. And after looking closely he does seem more hairy =)

First successful molt, ya!

Here are some pictures I took. It's funny the way my crabs all like to chill on the small side of my coco mat (which is by far their favorite climbing ornament).

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/460/dscn2988f.jpg
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/921/dscn2983k.jpg

I kind of feel bad for my E in this picture. Do you guys think I should consider getting another one to balance out the species? Or would it crowd my tank?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I think you should get a bigger tank, but you can adopt a small E too if you want to.
Wai
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Hey guys I've got another issue in my tat' =/

My small E went down a little over 2 weeks ago and hasn't been up since, so, am assuming he's molting. This wouldn't be an issue, but last night I noticed my large PP doing some light digging in the area where the E is buried. I kept an eye on him and he stopped. Tonight however, I found my large PP completely tearing up the area where the E is buried.

Thankfully he was in the wrong spot, but was getting very close. I kept an eye on him and decided to split the tank in half using a piece of plastic, and separate the molter and the 2 non molters.

Was this the right choice? I'm guessing my E must have just shed his exo and his smell is permeating up to the surface? Causing the large crab to go after him. The large crab doesn't tend to dig much and just recently molted, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't just digging for fun.

thanks!