Almost certain large crab is molting. A few questions

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Almost certain large crab is molting. A few questions

Post by llmercll »

Well about a week and a half ago my large crab buried, and hasn't been around since. This is in contrast to his usual behavior of climbing all over the place and being really active, and the food has been untouched since that time, so I'm pretty sure he's molting.

It's really stressful. He's a strong crab, and a very active one, but he's big, and will probably be down there a few months, and I'm going to worry =/

Anyway, His substrate wasn't as deep as I had liked (I really wish he wasn't molting right now because I have crabs I need to add to the tank) and I recently made a fresh batch of EE since my new crabs need to stay in the iso tank while the large one molts.

I added a little of the leftover EE to my main tank to add some depth, and I evened the surface out, which was pretty uneven and "holy" from his recent digging. The other day I read they create tunnels before they molt so now I'm worried I might have messed his up. I didn't pack it or anything, and I didn't put much in, just kind of sprinkled a bit. It didn't even cross my mind at the time that it could be detrimental to him, and I'm still not even sure it can be, but it's in my nature to fear the worst.

Is it possible I could have collapsed his tunnel by adding the extra ee? And he could have been at the other end of it, with his exoskeleton off in mid molt, and now is trapped down there suffocating? I haven't heard any chirping or noise, and there are no new tunnels.

Then again, He wouldn't be mid molt after just a week or two, he likely still has his exoskeleton at this point and is trying to get that "darkness" hormone buildup, yeah?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Almost certain large crab is molting. A few questions

Post by Wai »

As long as you didn't push down and compress the substrate on top of him, he should be okay. I like to even out the substrate too so that other hermit crabs don't get suspicious and start digging at the dome of sand and attack whoever is moulting underneath.
Wai
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Phew that's a load off. I kept imagining him suffocating, and being helpless because his exo is gone =(

Yeah I just sprinkled, I did't apply any pressure since I knew he was down there. Just sprinkled some on top and evened out the surface. I was very careful about it =)

I've also been reading and it seems some people think EE is easier and safer for them to molt in, for the exact reason that cave ins are less common. EE's really light and fluffy. IIRC the marine biologist woman (can't remember her name) with the HUGE crabs also uses EE for molting. Maybe I did something right =)

thanks!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

You're thinking of Carol Ormes, correct? She does indeed use EE. I used to use coconut fibre too, but I threw it out after a mite invasion and haven't used it since. EE is quite "sponge-like" so it's unlikely that your hermit crab will suffocate under there.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I have found that when I have EE in the tank, my crabs do enjoy molting in it. Do try to keep it moist though, I have read that it can be drying for the buried crab. Just moist though, not wet. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Thanks for the replies. I've got a new problem, my AC is acting up and not cooling properly. The crabitat has been 80-82 this summer, but is now 86!!

Do I need to get him downstairs where it's cooler asap? It's about 10 degrees cooler downstairs
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

My thought would be that it should be alright as long as it isn't for too extended a period of time, since your crabs don't have a way to cool off like they would if they were outdoors (shade, moist, cool dirt, cool water, up in the breeze in a tree, etc).
If it continues to be an issue, it might be best to move them downstairs if you don't expect to have it fixed within a day or two.

Edit: It just occurred to me that with your big crab molting, you want to disturb the tank as little as possible, and moving it a large distance like that might stress the heck out of him. I'd put it off if you can, or find a way to direct a breeze at the tank (without drying out the air) or some other solution.
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

eeek. The AC is going to be out for awhile, possibly indefinitely, as it's going to be a $1,200 repair.

It was 86 and climbing so I moved his tank, very carefully, a short distance down to the landing on our staircase. It's about 5 degrees cooler on that level and was only a 10 foot move.

Think he will be ok? I just seriously hope the temp doesn't keep climbing and I need to move him again, to the downstairs where I moved the iso.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

If you're very gentle and don't jostle the tank much at all, it shouldn't be too much stress. It sounds necessary, and would be worse to leave him where it's far too hot.
I"m with you on this one, move carefully, and gently. He will probably be fine.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Thanks for the advice =)

After a day of no AC the temperature on my landing is evening out at around 84. The downstairs is 80 and the upstairs is probably around 90.

I know the downstairs temp of 80 is probably ideal, but Is 84 a safe temp to leave my molter for awhile?

thanks!