Moulting Sign?

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Moulting Sign?

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All...My crab has made himself a hole possibly last night and it took my a bit to find him today...he sat there in his hole all day and came out early this evening...he has gone back in his hole and im wondering if this is a sign he could moult soon...they dig in their dome and igloo houses all the time but he has separated himself so moult?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Re: Moulting Sign?

Post by Ginger »

Possibly, I'm not sure however if you look for physical signs of needing a moult (e.g. Smooth legs, dull eyes) and other indicators (e.g. Increased amount of time feeding/drinking) combining these should give you a basic idea of whether it will be a moult or not. Usually my crabs will just disappear one day leaving a mound of sand if they are moulting. I find that if they are just digging for fun they will fluff around in shallow holes (particularly near the glass such as yours), go under for a day or two and not bother filling in the tunnels as they go etc.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

As i have barely touched my crabs ive barely had a good look at them besides some good pics...i realized two crabs took a turn each in the hole lol...i dont think they are using it now...i have noticed my crab Neelix (mr shell swapper) keeps going missing he used the hole second...he does come out though he eats the least but he is pretty timid (more timid since i accidentally droped him over a week ago lol doesn't trust me now)...i cant find him today but there is a mound of sand built up next to a plant so he could be under that...or hiding around the corner inside the dome home where i cant see...I might start getting my crabs out so they get a bit more use to me...will need to find a large exercise container first though.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

Sounds like you keep a closer watch on your guys than mine get! I've had them 2 years almost exactly and they still aren't used to me walking past the tank 3-4 times a day *rolls eyes* I hope you have more luck!
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Maybe you just have a timid bunch lol....only one of mine(Chakotay)is less afraid but still mostly retracts into his shell when i walk past...i now walk slowly past if i know he is out...Tuvok and Neelix either go completely inside their shell or walk backwards as quickly as they dare every time they see me lol...every crab i had except 1 when i was a teen became very friendly but i handled them every day possibly a few times a day...