Gonzo Hunting Moulters?

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Gonzo Hunting Moulters?

Post by POPPIT »

Ok i am extremely nervous now...3 of my crabs have been burried for...Seven 4 weeks...Chakotay 2 weeks and Tuvok for a bit over 1 week...Im most worried for my girl Seven as she has been under for a while now and none of my crabs have come up once since they went down...Now Gonzo has added to my stress by going underground tunnelling on the 24th of this month...at first i thought he was just doing his normal exploring like he normally does and then comes back up...However he started tunnelling towards where Seven went down under the green dome home and im thinking either he smelt her moulting when he went under so he is investigating or she has died and he is going to eat her...Either way i am really worried about him attacking her if she is still alive and almost finished moulting...I have no idea where my crabs are now and only know where they went under...I have no idea where Gonzo is either now...I am so so very worried!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Re: Gonzo Hunting Moulters?

Post by POPPIT »

I just found Gonzo by accident via a cave in when i moved the home to get Neelix out for a run....My substrate is way too dry but i have a faulty spray bottle..Just ran out of distilled water too...So i guess im buying some more water and a working spray bottle...Ill try get the one that sprays in any direction...Gonzo is the only one causing cave ins but he is a bigger crab then my others so less structural integrity i guess...I hope Seven makes it through her moult!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Cave in caused Gonzo to come up
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

If the crabs have molted but are buried far enough under (i.e. you have plenty of substrate) then Gonzo is probably just being bored and digging for fun. Some crabs are diggers.

What food are you giving him daily? Ensuring he has a daily source of protein and calcium will make him less likely to try to dig up molting or dead crabs.

If your buried crabs are dead you won't know until you do a deep clean...which I highly recommend not doing if it's only been a few weeks. Depending on their sizes, your crabs can be under multiple months or more. They may also come up for a night and go back down during the day, making it seem like they're still underground.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Gonzo is king of the food bowl and eats like a horse lol...I gave him a mix of natural crushed nuts and meal worms to entice him away from digging and it worked for the night lol..I check the tank alot and haven't seen or heard them only the ones above ground but who knows..At least Seven is up although naked as her shell is still buried somewhere..Hopefully Gonzo doesn't go after Chakotay and Tuvok...Being a Crabby parent is stressful lol