EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!

Post by aussieJJDude »

That's quite interesting emmac350. Had a quick glance at the paper; shall study it when I get the chance.

I guess it is something I learnt today; a few crabbers I know recommend olive oil around the lip of the shell to entice them to their new home and I've had it work for me with some apparent success. Lets just say; it was a "lesson learnt" today.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I wonder if the difference is that our crabs know that they have everything they need in our tanks? If your crab isn't starving and/or literally way too big for their shell they might be a little more open to the idea of whichever one they weren't looking for and just happened on. Wait, did that make sense? What I'm trying to say is a crab that knows it will be able to eat whenever it wants might be more open to a shell being found where it was looking for food and, if it thinks it's found a shell but gets food instead (but knows that there are plenty of shells around) might go for the food and not go hardcore for finding the shell it thought it had found previously.

Oh, bother. I'm not sure if any of that makes sense.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

So, you're saying that because they have good availability of resources in captivity, they are quite happy to "go with the flow" so to speak and check out whatever they've found, rather than stressing about survival and suiting their prioritised needs like they would in their natural environment? If not, I have NO idea what you are saying Emmac!
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

You got what I meant. Because they know they have ample supplies of all normally-scarce resources they don't mind going for what they thought was food but turned out to be a shell, or going for what they thought was a shell but turned out to be food.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.