Relieved just a moult

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
judyj42000
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Relieved just a moult

Post by judyj42000 »

Acquired my first PP at the "beach" but of course, had to improve and acquire subsequently a proper habitat upon returning home. Thought I was doing it all right as a biologist; sand plus coco fiber substrate 2+ inches deep; some salt water dish plus a decholorinated water dish; 10 gallon tank. "Earl" in this idea environment, just at once as introduced, sent himself into hiding 2 weeks ago. Stopped eating. Very concerned-- improper diet? Humidity? (has been around 70%)?
Every few days I dug him out as he had dug himself "in" and just gently held him in my palm to reassure myself he was alive. He would wiggle a little, that's all.
Finally! Today his exoskeleton appeared, after a last holding session last evening! I am so relieved he is just molting and not deathly ill. Earl (Duke of Earl) should survive.

I do not have tank next to an outlet permitting additional heating yet. It has not gotten below 70 degrees, but certainly this could be better. Humidity kept at 70% and above. Clearly, it was just his exoskeleton hanging out of his shell this morning. The "front" of him, I might say, but minus the innards. He had been most active at the beach in the tiniest habitat imaginable, running around all evening. As of late after habitat improvement he was Mr. Boring. I think at last, Earl had a habitat suitable for molting. What do you think?
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Re: Relieved just a moult

Post by Ginger »

It sounds like this was a moult judy (welcome by the way!) but for next time, one should never dig up a buried crab. This is when they are destressing or moulting. It is best that they are left alone.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Relieved just a moult

Post by appps »

I think that is one lucky little crab! You pretty much did everything you could to kill it yikes

Have you been to the learning area and read how to care for them? If you keep going how you are I hate to say it but mr boring is going to end up mr dead.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com