new owner one I got 2 hours ago looks like it might be molti

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
paigeeliz77
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 3

new owner one I got 2 hours ago looks like it might be molti

Post by paigeeliz77 »

I got a very small one yesterday then I got a larger one today I got the second one so the first one wouldn't be lonely but the more I read the more I think the bigger one is about to molt. I don't know if his behavior has changed I just got him but he is darker and more grey ish then my smaller one. He's really active, seems to like the salt water dish and has one white eye. What do I do? I have an extra tank but what do I do? Other than sand what needs to be in the isolation tank? Then when do I know it's time to put him in?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: new owner one I got 2 hours ago looks like it might be m

Post by ladybug15057 »

When one gets a new hermie/hermies they should be iso'ed from the others for an adjustment period. In the iso there should be a hidey area to seek shelter in, ocean and fresh water as well as food.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: new owner one I got 2 hours ago looks like it might be m

Post by emmac350 »

Since both of your crabs are new, I wouldn't necessarily think you need to isolate them from each other. Offer a lot of protein (meat, eggs, etc.) and calcium (eggshells or a cuttlebone from the bird section of a pet store) and keep an eye on your crabs. If the molter digs down you'll just need to make sure the other crab doesn't dig him or her up. If the crab surface molts then you will need to isolate them from each other. An isolated crab needs food, waters, and a place to hide. Keep it simple - this is to help them through their molt, not to entertain them.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.