Crab Left Shell

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 17
Total tanks: 1

Re: Crab Left Shell

Post by charcoal44 »

I just tried to get him in - no luck, his abdomens so delicate, he just wouldn't go back. I wet his abdomen and slid him back in but he just hung there, and soon as i put him down he moved out again.

And now he's getting substrate all over his wet abdomen.

Should I try another shell other than the one he vacated?
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125
Total tanks: 2

Post by StellaCrab »

charcoal44 wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 09:00 I just tried to get him in - no luck, his abdomens so delicate, he just wouldn't go back. I wet his abdomen and slid him back in but he just hung there, and soon as i put him down he moved out again.

And now he's getting substrate all over his wet abdomen.

Should I try another shell other than the one he vacated?
I would try a shell slightly larger than the one he was wearing, it would be easier to get him inside.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

I've just go back home, and he half way in his shell.

I don't have a larger one that's the same shape, which is a conical one.

Update:
He's back in and right side up, now I only hope he stays put.
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StellaCrab »

charcoal44 wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 12:40 I've just go back home, and he half way in his shell.

I don't have a larger one that's the same shape, which is a conical one.

Update:
He's back in and right side up, now I only hope he stays put.
Great! I think it would be a good idea to get a smaller container that fits inside the tank, and fill it with some substrate from the crabitat, and put him inside. That will prevent him from wandering around too much and possibly ditching his shell again. Offer him dechlorinated fw and msw, along with raw honey or peanut butter on qtips, prop them up in the sand in front of where he is sitting.

I hope he recovers, I will be hoping! :)
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

I'm waiting on a delivery of 13Kgs of CaribSea Agramax sugar Sized Coral Sand Marine reef Substrate, and will be housing him and my other crab in a new 17 gallon tank.

He's still in his shell, can the peanut butter be any commercial type?
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StellaCrab »

charcoal44 wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 07:21 I'm waiting on a delivery of 13Kgs of CaribSea Agramax sugar Sized Coral Sand Marine reef Substrate, and will be housing him and my other crab in a new 17 gallon tank.

He's still in his shell, can the peanut butter be any commercial type?
I have never heard of that substrate, but as long as it is not live sand, meaning it doesn't come already wet, then it's fine to use. The peanut butter should be an organic brand with no high fructose or extra ingredients. The ingredients should be only peanuts, and oil.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

It's listed on this site under supplies and recommended.
Got it on e Bay, for about $4.00 per Kg, and got free shipping from here in Australia.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

Well, he's still in his shell, but has not moved from the one spot he was in yesterday. I picked him up and he barely moved.

He hasn't shown any interest in the honey on the Q tip I placed in front of him.
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StellaCrab »

charcoal44 wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 17:55 Well, he's still in his shell, but has not moved from the one spot he was in yesterday. I picked him up and he barely moved.

He hasn't shown any interest in the honey on the Q tip I placed in front of him.
What are the temperature and humidity levels at? Did you give him fresh and salt water that you use in the crabitat?
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

Temps at 76.28f, been as high as 82-84f.
Humidity is 82% been up as high as 88%

The humidity fluctuates as the day progresses, atm, the evaporative cooler is going all day and night, yesterdays temp was 113f, with about 16% humidity outside (though a thermometer in my garage in shade measured 116) we are going through a heatwave with no end in sight.

I change the salt and fresh water daily if it's full of coconut fiber or every second day if it's clean.

The humidity in the crabitat was around the seventies for quite a while, could this be the reason?

And he's once again left his shell, and moved over to sit on top of my other crab.