Molt Question -- First Molt

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
ruthiesy
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Molt Question -- First Molt

Post by ruthiesy »

Hi all! I am a fairly new hermit crab owner and am definitely new to this forum, so I apologize if something is sorted incorrectly or if this information is stored somewhere else. I have a somewhat specific question, I think one of my crabs is going through his first molt. He likes to sit in the dirt buried underneath where his log is (provides darkness), and I hadn't seen him in a bit and when I checked on him his claw (the only part of him that peaks out of his shell) was light pink -- a stark difference from its usual dark reddish color. I was very concerned so pit him back down immediately but did notice what appeared to be another crab in the same hole he had dug. The other crab in the tank is on the complete other side, so I assume it's an exoskeleton? Is it normal for crabs to shed their exoskeleton and then go back to their first shell? Is this abnormal color okay? Is there anything I can do to help him. Thank you in advance for your responses, I'm really concerned about my little guy!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Molt Question -- First Molt

Post by Wai »

Could it be that the 'crab' you saw in the hole is the shed exoskeleton and the pink claw is the actual crab's moulted body?
Wai