Molter coming up- dug hole but never surfaced

Questions about hermit crabs moulting and its symptoms.
Amber
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 36
Total tanks: 1

Molter coming up- dug hole but never surfaced

Post by Amber »

Hi Guys! I am new to this group, but not entirely new to owning crabs. I have had mine for about a year now. Bodie is getting big and has completed his 3rd or 4th molt. He had tank mates but both of the other ones died due to one being bullied and I realized too late, and the other died during molt or was eaten. I still have not recovered him from the tank and plan to once Bodie is out from his molt. Here is the issue. He went down 4 weeks ago and I heard him scraping and coming to the surface. I noticed a hole forming and saw his antennae sticking out. I got excited so started watching. He noticed me and peaced out, and hid back down, so I thought. I left the room and wanted to give space. I returned later and no sign of him. I thought well shoot I’ll just leave him alone surely he’s fine since he almost came out. After further inspection, I’m rather surprised how deep his den is. It looks like it goes way down. It still looks intact but not sure becuse it’s dark inside the hole. Should I be trying to get him since I literally saw him climbing out 3 days ago? How long should I wait? Should I stick food in the hole?

What is the volume of your main tank?
36 gal

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
1 year

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
Play sand only

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
Dried and fresh hermit crab food. Fresh fruits and veggies

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
Alternate between RO water and tap water that has been treated with prime

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
Prime

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
Zoo med salt water conditioner

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
2 heating pads attached to the side. One is on all the time and one is triggered by low heat and will turn on according

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
No. Not sure how, but I have two in the tank just in case. One is digital. Both are in different parts of the tank.

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
Humidity 80-90
Temp 80-84 alarm will sound above 82 so I can monitor

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
I am not sure but the heat pads are just above the substrate

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
It’s early in the morning, but I can add one of the hole I am describing in the description once post is approved.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Molter coming up- dug hole but never surfaced

Post by Wai »

Welcome! I would suggest not doing anything at this stage and definitely no need to stick food down the hole; he will eat his shed exoskeleton or a stash of food previously obtained prior to burying himself. Since he was fine a few days ago, give him at least another three weeks to surface.
Wai