Sphagnum Moss

Place to post notices for sales and bargains.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Sphagnum Moss

Post by Wai »

I finally found sphagnum moss!

I've read that sphagnum moss is safe for hermit crabs, but can someone confirm that the photos are indeed what I'm looking for? It turns out that sphagnum moss is often used for planting orchids, so I might be able to get the same stuff for cheaper from a gardening store.
Wai
CrabbyMamma
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Re: Supplies for Aussies Thread

Post by CrabbyMamma »

Great timing - I was looking at that same listing today :)

I ended up ducking up to my local gardening store and bought a bag. From what I can read, Sphagnum moss is fine, but sphagnum peat moss is not - they are two different things. I got a 6 litre bag (way bigger than I needed, but the smallest they had) for $15.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Is the moss live or dried?
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I've read that sphagnum moss is safe for hermit crabs, but can someone confirm that the photos are indeed what I'm looking for? It turns out that sphagnum moss is often used for planting orchids, so I might be able to get the same stuff for cheaper from a gardening store.
I do not see photos on the link provided? Wai if you were from U.S. I would strongly recommend not to use the moss from a gardening section. I did research on this a few years ago when the question came up, and it can be read on CrabbyWiki

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sphagnum+Moss

The one is what is sold for crafts, and 'suppose' to be safe. (I do not know for sure)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyMamma
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Post by CrabbyMamma »

Its live Wai - well I think it is. It is in a white bag that isn't see through and I haven't opened it yet. It feels quite moist though. I will look at it more closely tonight and let you know if I have any more info.

Marie, I did lots of searching through this forum and CSJ, and I did read the link you provided, but it does seem to say there that it is Sphagnum peat moss that is not safe? I did look for Hawathi moss, but I don't think we can get it in Australia.

The bag doesn't say that it has any sort of chemicals added, I could ring the manufacturer first to double check though.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

This is where it makes it hard sometimes being from U.S. and some from Aus. (and other countries) Somethings are the same, and then I have found through another Aussie crabber that there are also somethings that are very different in Aus. But the peat here in U.S. is what is used in gardens and such and should not be used in a crabitat. Some Sphagnum moss sold here for reptiles isn't actually hermie safe either. (as well as some other moss's)
A crabber who owns Naturally crabby uses sheet moss. http://naturallycrabby.com/home////blog ... t-the-moss
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

This was from the eBay auction:

http://easyorchids.com/ebay/sphag150b.jpg

The sphagnum moss is compressed and dried, according to the seller.

Edit:

I bought a brick of the dried moss. I'll give it a chance I haven't been able to find moss being sold by craft stores.

Another tip from me too: Consider buying from overseas sellers too. Even including shipping costs, it is often cheaper to buy the same thing in the US or UK. I saved roughly $18 AUD buying my filters from the US instead of the local pet store. I could have bought another two filters with $18 AUD from the same seller. Also, I've noticed that domestic shipping in Australia is often the same or even more expensive than international shipping, so really there's no reason to buy anything in Australia, unless it's food, very heavy, an electric appliance or you need it immediately. You can however get refunds more easily from the local pet store.

A bit off-topic, but here's another example. I am interested in buying a book called "Prehistoric Life" by DK. The cheapest price from an Australian seller I found is $70.99 AUD (that's from an online store - the retail price in Australia is $99.95 AUD). The cheapest price (including shipping) from an American seller I found was $34.98 USD (roughly $41.32 AUD) and retail price is $40.00 USD. Notice the huge difference between the retail prices? I guess things are never cheaper to buy in Australia because our minimum wages are higher than those in the US.
Wai
Suebee
Banned
Banned
Hermit crabs: 29
Total gallons: 185
Total tanks: 5

Post by Suebee »

sphagnum moss is fine however sphagnum peat moss is not. I would not sugget moss from craft stores they usually are treated with pestisides and do not have to disclaim this due to them not being made for pets or human consumption.
rhemaangel
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Re: Sphagnum Moss

Post by rhemaangel »

Might want to get while the getting is good from Easy Orchids. The owner had a massive stroke and as a result, the business is changing up a bit.

This from the front page of their site: "Hi Everyone,

It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that Murray Shergold, co-proprietor of Easy Orchids has suffered a severe stroke and will be concentrating on his recovery for the foreseeable future. His wife Jean will be with Murray during this time and a good part of it will be spent in Brisbane 2 1/2 hours north of their home and business. For those of you that know Murray and Jean and wish to be informed of his progress or would like to send them your wishes, you can do so via Jeans facebook page. Jean would like to thank all those people who have already conveyed their kind thoughts.

For Easy Orchids this will mean a couple of small changes. Our new interim business hours are 8.00a.m. to 4.00p.m. Monday to Friday, during these hours our friendly, knowledgeable staff will be available to assist you personally. The phones will no longer be answered personally out of business hours so if you need to speak to us then, please leave a message, send us an email or order via our website http://www.easyorchids.com. The nursery will no longer be open on weekends except by arrangement.

Otherwise it is business as usual here at Easy Orchids and we look forward to serving you.

Best regards,

Jean Shergold and the Easy Orchids Team."

------------------

We wish them well as Murray recovers.
Sally M
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sphagnum Moss

Post by Wai »

Oh dear, strokes are nasty. I wish them all the best for recovery.
Wai