Dishes

Place to post notices for sales and bargains.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Dishes

Post by Wai »

You don't have to get your supplies from a pet store. One of the most expensive things that I often see Aussie crabbers buy are rock pool dishes. Even a tiny rock pool dish often costs at least $9.95 AUD. It is a good idea to let your hermit crabs fully submerge themselves in a dish that is deep enough. Typical rock pool dishes are not deep enough to let medium hermit crabs fully submerge themselves. Check out plastic containers in stores such as Kmart as alternatives, which only cost a dollar or two. Just remember to make a safety route out of the containers. I know I did recommend rock pool dishes in the Crab Care section, but I will update that soon with cheaper and better alternatives.

I use special sieve containers as dishes. Each container consists of a plastic sieve (as footing) stacked on top of a matching solid plastic bowl (to hold the water in). All my hermit crabs are able to fully submerge themselves and since they can use the sieve as steps, I don't need to worry about building an extra safety route out. I will post photos of these in case you don't know what they look like.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Supplies for Aussies Thread

Post by ladybug15057 »

KMart? We have those here too. So do they have a section where they carry the digital thermometer/humidity gauge combo's? (this is usually where they carry the normal human outdoor thermometers)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Supplies for Aussies Thread

Post by ladybug15057 »

Thank you for sharing. And usually one of the only items that seem to need to be steered towards hermies are the shells they wear. Lights, UTH's, (under tank heaters) substrates, etc. are usually sold for reptiles and fish as well. Decorations and such can be purchased even in dollar stores.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.