HCP Care Sheet Project

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: HCP Care Sheet Project

Post by Wai »

Please thank them on my behalf. You gave them version 2.0 right?
Wai
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 15
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 3

Post by MomofFive »

It is the new version!
I got the idea when I was reading over it. :D
All the pets they sell have 'pristine' conditions. (except the crabs till now)
I will check on their crabs again on Tuesday, because I ordered some Ultratherm Heat Mats for our Snake Habitat upgrade and they should be in by then.
15 Purple Pinchers, 1 Doberman Pincher (female), 1 Albino California King Snake, 1 Boa Constrictor Imperator and 6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)

MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 15
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 3

Post by MomofFive »

Went back to my LPS and TAAAAADAAAAA. The Hermits tank was cleaned, about 1 inch of EE on the bottom (it is shallow, to keep them from molting in store). They had fresh food in there and two water bowls. The pine log was replaced by a fake rock looking reptile hut in there.
The gauges (also new) read 78F/80%!!! Large Cuttlebone in the corner!
A rather big stack of you Care Sheet next to the tank!
They threw a piece of Mopani in there as well and spare shells in a plastic basket next to a small Moss Pit.
For the first time I have actually seen some Crabs roam around!!!
The owner said that it is not that much more effort to keep them a little happier :D And that they got very good responses from customers after just one day!
15 Purple Pinchers, 1 Doberman Pincher (female), 1 Albino California King Snake, 1 Boa Constrictor Imperator and 6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Congratulations MomofFive on a job well done!! I am sure hundreds of hermies will thank you to in the days, weeks, months and years ahead!!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Post by Gizaroo »

Congrats!! I'm thinking of printing off some of those new care sheets as well and seeing if the petstore (Pet Forum) that I got Banjo and Blu from will put some next to the hermie tanks. I doubt PetSmart or PetSupplies plus will allow me to, but Pet Forum is more of a mom and pop type shop. They take pretty good care of all their other critters, and they have made a few changes to the crabs tanks. (I think they overheard me talking to my bf when I got Banjo and Blu and explaining to him what should have been changed lol) The next day that I went in there, they had changed the substrate at least.
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

The care sheet has been updated to mention the use of freeze-dried foods and washing of non-organic fruits and vegetables. The line about breeding was deleted to fit everything else in one page.
Wai