HELP C.V. Zoea 72 hours old

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: HELP C.V. Zoea 72 hours old

Post by aussieJJDude »

LOL, I am happy to help you on that care sheet! :D
I have a few "test" subject that can help (pay back for pinching me >] ) so yes, I have a few willing subjects! :D
I would pay $25-30 for a small captive breed one, then $5 of a wild caught one, knowing I have saved a crab and allowing a wild one to live life, in the wild :D and it would also make them non thrown away pets, after all, who would want to pay $100 dollars for a KK setup compared to $50 - how it is now?
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 70

Post by Natatat »

Latest picture of stage 2 Zoea, sorry about the dodgy photos (iphone)
The rearing tank. I have 2 jars so instead of water changes its more like jar changes, once they started molting the jar was so filthy with exos floating everywhere it was very hard to do any water change without clogging up the stocking on the end of the little hose, I didnt want to take it off & suck out any zoea so I chopped the end off a plastic eye dropper thingo so the opening was large enough to suck the zoea up without harming them and deposited them in the new jar (same batch of water & same temp so no stress) it takes ages as there is so many but it works, for now.
Looked into making a Kreisel tank today, there's a place in the city that sell all manner of plastics who has acrylic tubing and sheets, could be very easily done but way out of my budget at the moment (in mind for future endeavours).
The brine shrimp eggs came, when (if) they reach megalopa I will have some baby brine shrimp for them so hopefully they will not cannibalise as much (fingers crossed).
Wai, I printed your care sheet today and It's great! I will distribute this to a couple of people I know that know better........ -.- It should be available at every pet store in the country!! hmmmm I might just slip it under the local dead shop oh I mean pet shop door, wonder if they will take any notice? They wont listen to me, I've tried on several occasion but end up leaving feeling worse than I did when I went in, the lady is convinced she's right & I'm wrong, "the supplier says.......yatta yatta" you know the rest. I will show it to Richi my man at the aquarium shop, he's a top bloke & is really interested in the appropriate care of all things, he could help :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Nat_addicted to HC's http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

aussieJJDude wrote:Congrats on the molts!
Just a quick question, what size what there parents??? Just wondering what the size would be, I would love to follow your footsteps and raise my own babies, you are now my hero! :D
Ok so they are medium to large, the females are a fair bit bigger than the males, now they were not keen on any photo shoot I must say, sorry and the big girls are down at this minute (for how long? your guess is as good as mine), so I took pics of female who has eggs (she is behaving very different) and a male who was out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Cool thanks!
When I grow up I will love to do what you are doing, helping the ones in the wild :D
Thank you for the reply!
(And good luck on that Kreisel Tank too ;), and good luck on getting them to megalopa stage! :D)
and congrats on another female that has eggs, lol, are you starting your own breeding farm? :P
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

They are turning into megalopa #D
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Congrats :D

Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

Megalopa - & yes they do eat the zoea that hasnt turned yet!
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 3

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

This is sooo amazing! You must be a very dedicated hermit crab lover. Someone we can all look upto (: I'd love to do this one day - After more years of hermit crab care
MY HERMIT CRABS: Chester the sneaky and Indigo the digger
REST IN PEACE Willow the tunnel maker and Charlie the climber
Natatat
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Natatat »

Ok so many new issues have arisen, they prefer eating each other but are eating other foods too, obviously having food in the water presents its own issues.......
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Nice pic! :D
I hope these guys great onto land soon :D Then it would be awesome :D