Do these guys usually molt at the same table me?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
MaddiesMom
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Do these guys usually molt at the same table me?

Post by MaddiesMom »

I have four crabs, small to medium/large. All have buried themselves and not been out (water and food dishes undisturbed, no movement of fixtures, etc) for several days. Temperature is about 76. Don't have a meter for humidity, but it is almost summer time in Atlanta, GA -- I don't think humidity would be a problem. All were pretty active until then. I have also noticed what look like dime to penny sized clumps of substrate that seem almost glued together.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Do these guys usually molt at the same table me?

Post by Wai »

They aren't necessarily moulting at the same time, but it does happen from time to time.
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

I'd suggest getting a humidity gauge, crabs do dig under if conditions above aren't ideal, such as humidity or heat too low.

In smaller tanks/smaller number of crabs, moulting cycles can and will tend to line up with one another. Its pretty common if you have a small amount of crabs, especially if the same size.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

All hermies molt at different rates. Some every few months, some once a year or so. We have a Jumbo who use to molt a couple times a year when he was smaller. When she technically became jumbo size for a year she molted every 3 months! Her molting now has slowed down.
I would strongly suggest getting a humidity gauge and calibrating it. Hermies do need humidity to breath properly through their modified gills. We are in a heat wave right now where the dew point is high, but if any air conditioning is on it is very important to monitor the level in the tank.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.