Newb w/ various thought n questions

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Lud
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 1
Total tanks: 1

Newb w/ various thought n questions

Post by Lud »

So I was on vacation w/ my family in cape cod ma.
The wife and I bought 3 hermits for each one of our kids.
They have been in tiny tank for a few days and we'll be home tomorrow. The plan is to put in a 20 gallon long , with 6 inches of mostly sand and some coco fiber. I have 3 dishes 2 for water and salt water and food. Once this is done I will get various decorations and what not along the way off amazon I guess. If I have any questions they would be this.

1. They have been digging and sleeping at bottom of tank during day and come out at night. Are they stressed/scared to act this way ? Or it it typical ? I dumped the stones in their temporary tank and put about 3 or 4 inches coco.

2. They trample over their food dish and play in it but don't eat it. They just make a mess really. Is this typical ? I think they do it because they just don't have enough space. I wonder if they will do the same thing in bigger tank.

3. I seen a thing on Pinterest where someone seperated the tank with plexiglass to keep the water dishes safe and clean. Looks pretty neat. I may try this .

4 . How may hermits will live comfortably in a 20 gallon long ?

Well thanks in advance for anyone who took the time to read this and any responses will be appreciated
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Newb w/ various thought n questions

Post by ladybug15057 »

Hermies do not eat much, and do need time to de-stress from all they've been through. In the crab care section there is information about humidity levels and temperatures they should be offered to help them through this time. Sadly they have been through so much after their capture they should have quiet time for a few weeks too.Depending on how large the hermies are depend on how many per gallon can live comfortably. One must also consider the decorations, water/food dishes, shells, etc. as well as permitting their growth rate.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.