Telling two hermit crabs apart

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Willwhf

Telling two hermit crabs apart

Post by Willwhf »

Hey! I just bought a second PP (lets call him crab B) and now im worried i wont be able to tell them apart because Crab B has taken a liking to a shell the same as Crab A I want to be able to tell the two apart so was wondering if anyone has any ideas to Know who is who
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Telling two hermit crabs apart

Post by aussieJJDude »

Observe their behaviours or take some high quality photos and 'map' out their BP, which I heard from a few crabbers - someone may either confirm or deny - that the spots and markings rarely change.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Through molts some markings do change. But if one looks closely at their hermie they will have certain characteristics that will be different. Ex: "tip of large pincher lighter, last segment right leg lighter, left leg darker," etc. After a little time you will naturally know who is who. They do seem to have their own personalities.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
dk58
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by dk58 »

I believe I have 2 PPs (the large claw is purple) but the have different colored legs. 1 has tan legs and the other has a red tint to their tan legs. Is the abnormal? Are all PPs supposed to be 1 color?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Not always. Many times when a hermie is getting ready to molt their coloring will become lighter due to the old exo pulling away from the new. If he has just molted, it will take a little while for the exo to harden and darken. It could also be that he is lacking color enhancing foods in his diet.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.