Unusual Behaviour

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 17
Total tanks: 1

Unusual Behaviour

Post by charcoal44 »

In the couple of days one of my hermit crabs has been laying on it's back, when normally it's the other way round.

It's winter here, and keeping the humidity and temp at optimal levels is challenging we have the heater set at 21-22c during the day / evening, and drop it back to 20c overnight.

I monitor the temp/humidity and make adjustments as necessary, but this behavior is got me puzzled, and concerned. What is the lowest humidity level that they can tolerate?
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 17
Total tanks: 1

Re: Unusual Behaviour

Post by charcoal44 »

Update:
This one has left it's shell, whats it doing?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Unusual Behaviour

Post by aussieJJDude »

Leaving the shell is never a good thing, since they need the shell for protection.

As for humidity, what is it normally in your tank? A lot of crabbers try to keep it at 80%; but they do fine in the lower 70's as well. If it wass me personally, I would tr to bump up the temperature so it is around 25C or more, since they are tropical animals.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.