By his self

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Jerryswope
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

By his self

Post by Jerryswope »

I have 4 hermies 2 are real small and the others are I'd say large ...well the two small ones and the one large one hurried down in the sand the other large one is on top where the other large on is under the sand but the one on top side isn't digging the other on out do you all think he is lonely
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: By his self

Post by Wai »

Not necessarily; while I discourage keeping a single hermit crab long term, I think it's okay for them to be alone temporarily until the others appear. From my experience they don't seem to pay much attention to each other.
Wai
Jerryswope
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10

Post by Jerryswope »

Well woke up this morning he died during the night but the other three are still under sand ...also was wonder I've been reading on sand based habitats to keep the sand moist as well ????
alexsmith123
Zygote
Zygote

Post by alexsmith123 »

I think it's better to them to be alone sometimes, it may help i think.
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125
Total tanks: 2

Post by StellaCrab »

Hi Jerryswope! :)

I don't recommend keeping a crab alone for extended periods of time, they are very social animals and congregate by the hundreds in the wild. When you have other crabs underground and only a couple or a single crab up, then he won't have loneliness issues for that small amount of time. You should have mixed your substrate with dechlorinated fresh or marine salt water to a sand castle consistency, and it should be at least six inches deep, or three times deeper than your bigger crab (whichever is larger) :)