Hole in the shell he's living in

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
gentlespiritwolf
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Hole in the shell he's living in

Post by gentlespiritwolf »

Hermit crab now has a small hole in his shell...

We are brand new to these cute little guys and to here. Thank you for having us! I'm 66, disabled, and going blind. If info on this is listed in here already, I apologize but it's hard for me to read on a phone.

We've had these three guys a couple of weeks now. A few days ago my daughter noticed one of the smaller ones has a small hole in his shell and were worried about him. Is there anything that we could and should try to do for him? I tried to add a photo but couldn't figure out how.
Thanks in advance!
Ginny

PS On the subject of shells, where are some of the best places to order/buy some extras? Our three are all in snail type shells (sorry I haven't learned the proper terms yet 😊). The pet shops nearby only seem to have conch shells which we put in there but don't know if any of them will like them.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hole in the shell he's living in

Post by Wai »

Welcome! You will need to offer plenty of spare shells to encourage him to change out of that shell. It also depends on where the hole is. If the hole is near where his abdomen area is then it would be much more of a concern. I have not bought shells for a very long time now, but I would check online.
Wai