Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: My crab is out of his shell

Post by CrabbyJo »

Doh corrected again!
I have to remember to really do my research before repeating something I THINK I know. I thought I'd learned not to do that *|

Sorry to hear about your crab, Tammi :( It's always sad to lose one. I worry about mine all the time, and probably won't stop worrying until I've had them forever.

And thanks Marie. I should have paid closer attention. So my Pink Fiji sand is not oolitic, though the grains are the same size as the Select sand.
Oolitic being rounded sand, rather than sharp grains, which are friendlier to the crab's softer body parts should it get into their shell, I assume.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: My crab is out of his shell

Post by ladybug15057 »

Tammy I am so sorry to hear you think your little one has passed. Any chance he maybe molting?

CrabbyJo, yes the oolitic term describes the form/shape and type of sand. It is usually a very small, fine, and round sand. Like these magnified pictures:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... Substrates
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.