Questions about unexpected problems.
skinkydinker
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 21
Total tanks: 1

Help! Streaking crab!

Post by skinkydinker »

I tried eveyrthing. This is the second time. I don't know where his old shell is, but its gone, and a few months ago, he came out of his shell, and I put him into a dark little box with a few shells, and he put one on. This time, I gave him lots of shells in a dark box, but he wont go tino any of them, even when I left him for 5 hours there. I put him into a tank (I forced him intoo a nice good-sized, clean shell) and he came out of it, and wont put any others on, its been 3 hours, and hes not putting one on :(
I know its stress-ful for him, but the shells (And his tail) are clean, and there are no pests or anything in the shells. I have around 6 shells of his size, and he doesn't want any of them :'(
Please help!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Help! Streaking crab!

Post by Wai »

Boil the shells and allow them to cool down. Rinse the shells with salt water (the same kind you use for the salt water dish), then try coaxing him into a shell.
Wai
skinkydinker
Zygote
Zygote

Post by skinkydinker »

I washed the shells with salt water and put him into a shell, (I washed his tail too) and put him into an iso tank with more shells. He hasn't done anything (at all, even stood up) yet...
skinkydinker
Zygote
Zygote

Post by skinkydinker »

He's out again :'(

EDIT: put him into a glass with a shell. hope it works... :|
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Honestly, the best thing you can do for him is to leave him alone. Stop moving him around, stop picking him up. Put him in a tank under a hidey with a few shells of his size. The more you pick him up, the more he stresses - he knows he isn't safe without a shell, and doesn't understand that you're trying to help him.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
skinkydinker
Zygote
Zygote

Post by skinkydinker »

In an iso tank or his normal one (With the rest of his roomates)?
Thanks
EDIT: I put a hide into his iso, with a few shells in it, and he's in there. I also put in a water bowl ad filled food bowl. I hope he'll be ok.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Leave him in the iso tank and make sure the humidity level is proper. (calibrate/test the gauge for accuracy) Make sure there is a cool and a warmer side to the substrate and offer him a dechlorinated fresh water and an ocean water source. (the kind sold specifically for salt water fish tanks) I would suggest to leave him be for a few days, at least until Wednesday so he has time to destress from whatever stressed him into leaving his shell. Meanwhile, double check the perimeters of your main tank. Good Luck!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

It sounds like you've done all that you can for now. It's hard (trust me, I know it is from experience) but just let him be alone. Hopefully he'll make it, but being disturbed will only make that less likely. I just recently lost one of mine (yesterday early morning she died) so I know what you're going through!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I've been exactly where you are now, and had to listen to Marie and Emma's advice. He has been stressed out of his mind, and leaving him alone truly is the best thing you can do, despite how hard it is.
Do check the parameters of your tank - temp, humidity, etc, and make sure they are within acceptable ranges.

My crab that left his shell as yours has done, and would not go back in, had suffered heat damage from digging down over an under tank heater. My parameters were good, but not for this little guy, unfortunately.

I do wish you the best, and hope your little guy pulls out ok.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
skinkydinker
Zygote
Zygote

Post by skinkydinker »

Thanks everyone. I don't know if he'll be ok. :( The tank conditions are all good, and the other 20 crabs are doing good too. He is somewhat digging, but he's really, really weak. He somewhat put a shell, on, but its falling off cause he cant hold it on :'(
Maybe he's outer molting? I hope he will be ok. I've had this guy for 2 years, and he was ok all that time. :(