Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 3

Another newbie Mistake...

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

Ok so I thought Charlie was ready to go in the main. He wouldnt come out on my hand but he was running around. I was so wrong. Less then 7 hours later I find him naked :( Chester has taken his shell. They share the same shell but I have heaps of other shells in their that are wearable for them. Why did he have to take Charlies shell?? I know his was too big but why!? WHATS WRONG WITH MY OTHR SHELLS? :(

If anyone knows where they sell the following shells or what its called so I can google it, PLEASE TELL ME. I will travel to freakin japan if I have to and spent billions of dollars. I dont want this to happen again :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bonnie.Maree on 03 Dec 2012, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
MY HERMIT CRABS: Chester the sneaky and Indigo the digger
REST IN PEACE Willow the tunnel maker and Charlie the climber
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Another newbie Mistake...

Post by aussieJJDude »

Mine seem to like Phasianella shells, I have got 3 out of my 9 in one ATM - the others are in weird shells :P
Please separate him from the others, they might attack him!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Hermit crabs tend to believe that shells worn by other hermit crabs must be better than the unoccupied ones. From then on, whether or not they will proceed to attack occupants for them is their choice.
Wai
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

I realised the photo I uploaded was wrong so Ive changed it. Most of the crabs here where I live (including Chester and Charlie) are in these shells - the same colour, the same shape, the same little spikes. Does anyone know what they are called?

I did return him to the isolation tank (: although he was not easy to catch - I scooped the sand under him poor thing. I put him in the tank with my clean shells along with Chesters old one. Guess which shell he picked? -.- It is way too small for him but they only seeem to want these shells.

Charlie must have been too vulnerable :( I'm worried if I keep him in iso too long he'll die of lonelyness :/ But the only shells in my area at petstores are not these shells they want. I only see crabs in pet stores wearing them - they dont sell them.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Hmmm, do you have Phasianella shells?? they are great! light, great for a small to med crab and is nicely coloured.
Hope he is OK.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I agree. All of my hermit crabs changed into Phasianella shells not too long after taking them home and have since stayed in them. At one stage I did put in other types of shells in the tank, but they showed no interest at all, so the shell basket now only contains Phasianella shells and a few big Babylonia shells.
Wai
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

I thought most of my shells were but upon closer inspection they are actually turbans. I have three phasianella shells. I have put them in the iso with Charlie along with the turbons and a babylonia.

Could you take a look at my picture Wai/aussiedj and tell me what that shell is called so I can ring places and find it? Its the one most of the crabs here are in and i dont think its a phasianlla. Out of all the shells Charlie got into that one which was Chester's old shell but its far too small even his eyes cant fit in. I know if I find one like it that he will change into it.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

I see those shells - Brought home Vodka in that shell, who changed within 2 mins into a phasianlla. Whiskey (the crab I adopted off maxcat710) is in that type of shell, the biggest I am seen is a 1.5cm wide shell is pretty small.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

A few postings ago you mentioned about Charlie getting his shell taken. Prior to putting him in with the others, did you bath them altogether? If you do not bath your little ones, did you dip Charlie in the main fresh water pond to rinse the molt odor off of him and so he would smell the same as the others? (this helps some, and cuts back on some territorial issues too)
BTW, I am so sorry to hear about Willow.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

I didnt bath them together but i did put him in the fresh water dish in the tank. Chester didnt fit in his shell (i memtioned awhile ago that he didnt fit and you said he might be premoult - but his my only crab who hasnt so far lol)and i think he took advantage of charlies timid state and took his shell. Do you know the shells name?

And thankyou (: