Andee
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 1

Shell fight,Shell Loss, Can't Walk

Post by Andee »

Ok so I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it. Sorry I haven't been on in forever guys D8 life has been hectic with a new school schedule. But the hermies have been good, no losses lately. But something happened last night, one of my bigger females was found streaking. I think this was not done voluntarily however, Blush was found without a shell and I managed to gently pick her up and slide her back into one that was around the similar size as her old one. The old one is nowhere to be found, I have a feeling it got stolen by someone while I was out and about, which is odd because I have plenty of shells, though I will not try to understand some of the ideas that go through hermits heads about shells .___.

Anyways she took to the shell quite readily, it wasn't until after awhile I realized she had problems walking. One of her bulkier legs I think was injured at one of the joints or something... and she seems to be in pain because when I move her and she moves that leg she lets out the strongest and loudest clicks I have ever heard. I am seriously considering moving her to isolation just because she can't bury herself or get to water or food. She literally cannot walk at all.

I am moving her myself and fed her some peanutbutter with honey today to get some protein and sugar into her system to make her more energized. It seemed to help a bit. She's about the size of a silver dollar and I can't put her in my regular isolation tank as I have mites in it right now. I do however have a 5 gallon, I just don't know what to do for water and food to make it easy for her to get to... Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post, just am super worried.
40 gallon with 13 hermit crabs- 11 PPs, 1 E, 1 Straw

My Blog: http://crabbingadventures.wordpress.com