my hermit crab

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
tima9131
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1

my hermit crab

Post by tima9131 »

my hermit crab is new i just got him to day. all i have now is just a small wire cage but i will soon get a bigger on and more hermit crabs. i love them alot i have had some other ones but i did not know that u had to have so much stuff to take care of him (no wonder mine died so quick =[) but now i have this website and o lol he just crawled over me lol well now that i have this website i know what to do so i can have him forever! yay so tell me about your crab and some edvice for me becuse like i said i just got mine today april 17 2009 and yep thats his birthday to me lol. o yeah his name is jimmy lol.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: my hermit crab

Post by emmac350 »

The first thing I would recommend doing as soon as you can is get rid of that wire cage. You can read all about cages for crabs in the terrariums section of the crab care - http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... eslist.php. The wire cage you have now doesn't hold in heat or humidity, which means that your crab will have trouble breathing (they breathe through the humidity in the air because they have gills) and may very well end up too cold due to too low of temperatures.

Also, get your crab a friend as soon as you have a glass terrarium. They are social animals and as such will be more active with friends. Also, you should read through the substrates section so you can get the best possible setup for your crab - what kind of substrate do you currently use and how deep is it? What foods are you offering your crab? Are you offering both fresh and ocean salt water? Do you dechlorinate the water you use? Please give us an idea of what setup your crab has so we can better guide you with the care of your crab.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.