Hermit Crabs Making a Hit in Israel

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Hermit Crabs Making a Hit in Israel

Post by CrabbyJo »

It kind of makes me sad. I think of how many of these little guys are harvested, stressed out of their minds from the treatment they receive until they hit the pet stores/kiosks, only to be sold to people none the wiser about their care, doomed to die within the year. It just makes me think of how this ridiculous money making enterprise is going to put the whole of the hermit crab population on the endangered species list. :(

http://www.haaretz.com/culture/arts-lei ... e-1.336126
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
rhemaangel
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Re: Hermit Crabs Making a Hit in Israel

Post by rhemaangel »

I read the article & then posted a reply. Hopefully it will be chosen to be published. *fingers crossed* I told them that yes, hermit crabs are good pets. BUT (there's ALWAYS a BUT! lol!) ... they do need to have the proper care to thrive. I also let them know that hermies have been documented to live quite a long time. I also gave them the URL to THIS site & to HCA (wasn't enough room to give them ALL the good links. LOL!)

And I'm kinda surprised that they would be allowed into Israel at all. They are far from Kosher. I'm sure the Rabbis will have something to say about it in the not too distant future. :P
Sally M
rhemaangel
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Re: Hermit Crabs Making a Hit in Israel

Post by rhemaangel »

WOOT!!!!! They printed my comment!!!!! XD (we need a Happy Dance smilie!)

http://www.haaretz.com/culture/arts-lei ... e_comments
Sally M