how come the substrate smells sour so now

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

how come the substrate smells sour so now

Post by babesbarn »

I switched from using the coconut substrate (after almost 2 years) to play sand/coconut substrate mix. I do notice my crabbies enjoy the change and have even molted under more favorable conditions. (at least one has and another started but came up after to check out a newbie due to so much chatter in the tank)
Anyway, they are playful even, but I DO notice that since it is summer and I mist, that the tank seems to not dry out on the bottom of the six inches of playsand mix. Combined with their droppings it smells sour. It is not a dead hermie. All are accounting for even Hercules who dug under.
On other things I did get a new hermie and I call him "Earl". Wouldn't you know he was missing a walking leg. The one inbetween the small claw and the rear walker. Aside from good color I thought i was picking a good one. He has to get out of that painted shell too but so far no success or interest. Still new.
On the smell, do you think it is their feces or is it just the very hot weather. I do have it humid enough for them and it IS summer. I am thinking of a premix from the crab store rather than play sand. Opinions appreciated.
busy guys.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Re: how come the substrate smells sour so now

Post by arhoads »

I turn my substrate once a week. I have one side of the tank 6 inches of sand and the other half 6 inches of eco earth. I scoop their messes daily. It might be that your substrate is staying too wet on the bottom? I know turning the substrate solved my problem anyway. could also be that the hermies buried some food that you haven't discovered.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Like arhoads suggested food might be under! just give it a good clean.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

arhoads has a good point about turning the substrate as in to help aerate it. You may of an air circulation problem too which will give it a stagnant odor as well. You mention misting the tank, are you using fresh or ocean/sea water to do this? Did you wash and bake the playsand before using it?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by babesbarn »

Hi, Well I took half the substrate out of the mix sand/coconut and replaced it with coconut husk only. With the very hot weather, I am sure the extra moisture on the mix will be beneficial for them. And I left the other side as is around where my Hercules is buried. I do not want to disturb him as I think he is in a molting process. I use distilled water only for misting but they do have a dish of marine salt ocean water in there along with a dish of distilled water. I think those two components have been essential for their two years of good health. Other than that, the new crabbie that I introduced to them last week did not make it. His limbs began falling off and he was all by himself in a corner. He was in that painted shell and had one walking limb off on purchase. I hoped for better but I guess he had PPS because my Spiderman and Jumbo are doing well. As a matter of fact they have a nice size exercise area outside the top of the tank. ( I do watch them and they like it). The humidity and room temp is perfect right now. So I will be glad they can have more exercise.