Rollie Pollies

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
jmmc137
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3

Rollie Pollies

Post by jmmc137 »

i've read from hca that you can put rollie pollies/sow bugs/pill bugs in your tat and they will eat ur crabbies poo, and crabs eat them.but you have to watch out 4 blu ones because they have a disease.you can find them in the store for 24.95 ^) or search 4 them outside. :) they'll reproduce in the tat and in about a week you'll have like 40.they dont disturb molting crabs.i say theyre way better than sand scoopers. :) also a good source of calcium. ;)
ja'wuan's crabs=sam(^=^) dylan=] annie;>
In a better place=Larry
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Rollie Pollies

Post by Foxydiva3 »

I Also heard that these were great, Like a little Janitor for your crabs. I Have thought about putting them in but I Dont know how they will do since I Only used sand in the tank. I might try this this spring when I Can dig some up =)
C
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

Huh. That's interesting, I've never heard of that. Let everyone know if they survive in sand Foxy.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
jmmc137
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by jmmc137 »

u can find them under rocks n the spring time and summer. thats where i found some last year. at the time i didn't kno if they were useful for my tat. now i have to wait 4 a while. :(
In a better place=Larry
princessjbrat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4

Post by princessjbrat »

I have been using them for almost 6 months. Mine keep dying though. They drown in the pools 8| .
I did notice a difference with less poo in the tank.
jmmc137
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by jmmc137 »

i would make them a little puddle of water.get a bottle cap and bury it in the substrate.then put some pebbles in the water.
In a better place=Larry
NotaMallard
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by NotaMallard »

They don't need a source of water. I forget why, but it was something that kept popping up when I was doing research on them that they don't need a source of water. As long as it's moist in the 'tat, as it should be for the crabs, they'll be fine.
I have 13 hermies, and 30-something pets in all (it varies).
A link to my hermit crab food store:
http://carefreecrabs.webs.com/index.htm
Thedrawingclaw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

Rollie pollies in the tank?

Post by Thedrawingclaw »

On Hermit Crab Association there was a topic about putting rollie pollies (pill bugs) in the crabitat, to clean up uneaten food, poop, and mold. I was hoping this information was true, that you can put rollie pollies in the crabitat, because boy are my crabs messy. They like to try and dig through the food dish, throwing all the food out in the process, and then angrily shouting at me that there's no food. Anyways, I figured at least one of you guys could answer my question.
Meet my [hermie] family:
Scuttles, Crabzilla, Shelldon, Curlicue, Kujo, and Gigantor
Proud owner of these 6 beautiful PP hermit crabs
R.I.P. Kujo
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

This is the original post about rollie pollies in the crabitat with a couple of links to read too.
Please do not rely on them alone to spot clean a tank, they can only eat so much. One still needs to clean their tank daily for food that is dragged out of the food dish too.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.