would hermies survive a lifestyle with travel?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Dovey
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

would hermies survive a lifestyle with travel?

Post by Dovey »

I have always though hermit crabs are cool, but I am disabled and when my husband goes away on work trips I have to go live with family in the next county. would hermit crabs live through regular relocations of 50 miles for 2 weeks or more every 3rd month? if they couldn't survive that I can't get them...

Dovey
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: would hermies servive a lifestyle with travel?

Post by Wai »

I'm not too sure about what you should do, but it would be stressful for you to move their tank from place to place every now and then. Also, some hermit crabs get stressed if they are moved or handled too frequently.
Wai
Dovey
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Dovey »

I was planing on transporting the hermies in a critter keeper with perhaps hot rice bags beneith in cold weather and the tank seperate so that I could set it up and then put them back in. I don't think I would want more than a 10 gallon set up and no more than 3 crabs at a time. Then I would transport them back in the same manor 2 weeks later. It is a half hour to 45 minute drive and if I handle carefully with the need for heat and humidity in mind they might survive. But part of me is afraid that the relocations might be too much for the crabs.

The other option is a five or ten gallon tank wrapped in towels with the rice bags beneath and the decorations temprarily removed so they don't hit the crabs in transit. Then I just put the decorations back in and plug in the heater and refill the water.

I have mentioned that I am disabled. I spend a lot of time alone. I had to give up my pet rats because my daughter has asthma and can't visit me If I have anything furry or feathered. I am just trying to find something living to keep me company that won't agavate asthma and survive the life I have to live. I though of Hermit crabs because I have always thought they were cool and facinating.

does anyone have any advice?

Dovey
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I'm sorry but I agree with Wai. Moving the hermies would be stressful on the hermies and especially if one were in premolt, it could be lethal to them. Hermies cannot hear they feel vibrations. Even being very careful moving them they would feel this, as well as the new sound vibrations every couple of weeks. This would keep them in an almost constant PPS type state.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
mamaturtle2000
Banned
Banned
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 104
Total tanks: 3

Post by mamaturtle2000 »

Maybe you could find someone to "crabsit" for you for those 2 weeks every 3rd mod month? The crabs being hypoallergenic would mean your daughter would be able to care for them while you are out of town.
Dovey
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Dovey »

My daughter lives in another county as well and is only seven. Due to my spinal injury I can't care for her and so she lives with grandma. I haven't been able to get back to this because It has been those 2 weeks where I have to be away. I am leaning more towards a tortis now. they can be potty trained and would be better able to handle the car ride. I still think hermies are cool and if my life changes to where I don't have to travel I might get them then.

Dovey
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I think tortoises are more hardy pets than hermit crabs, but I've never had a tortoise before so I can't be certain.
Wai
wizkidsmom
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 75

Re: would hermies survive a lifestyle with travel?

Post by wizkidsmom »

I am mom to four box turtles and I am not sure any turtle/tortoise would be a good travel companion.
They do not like sitting in a container so you would need an SUV or station wagon (they are coming back) with the back end set up for the turtle. You don't want him/her to roam the entire car as they can get by your gas & break pedals while you are driving. They can get stuck under the seats as well.
Potty train a turtle/tortoise? Never heard of that either.

I am not sure there is a pet that would be easy to care for while traveling.
WizkidsMom (Cheryl)
5 PPs
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

My old house was owned before me by a family that had an iguana that was litter-trained. I'm not sure how they did it, but they did.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Dovey
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Dovey »

Didn't get the tortis either. Guess I am destined to go petless. I miss my rats and mice but i can never have them back if I want my little girl to come stay with me.

Dovey