would hermies survive a lifestyle with travel?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

moving

Post by ZuZu »

I will be moving to nevada soon and just wondering if there is any advice for my pals when we move by plane or car we arent sure which yet :D . I just want them to be as comfortable as possible. ;)
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Re: would hermies survive a lifestyle with travel?

Post by ZuZu »

were I am going is a twelve hour drive :(
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

By car or plane? If it is by plane you need to call ahead and find out if they permit for hermies to be carried on the plane. You really do not want them in the cargo/baggage area. Some airlines do not permit hermies to be carried on and I know 1 lady who had to pay $75 for a sear for her 2 hermies to fly with her to their new home.
As for travel by car/truck, it is possible to have them move safely. I know of a crabber who moved from New Mexico to Ohio and had all hermies arrive safely, even her molter:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... vel+by+car
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I drove my guys from Alabama to Wisconsin safely. The lessons I learned: anything that is propped up against the walls (like my cholla) will fall and break something if possible. Cover the tank's sides that are by the windows to keep the sunlight from overheating the tank. Have water in the tank, but not too much. Otherwise it'll slosh out all over the substrate. You'll probably want to take the extra shells out of the tank as they'll end up against one of the sides of the tank and clank against the glass the whole way. It gets really annoying.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by blondy627 »

Dovey... Maybe you could look in to a Sugar Glider? They are supposed to be hypoallergenic (from what I've heard) and they like to be close to you and go everywhere with you in a little pouch like a kangaroo.
MomofFive
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 15
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 3

Post by MomofFive »

My sons Girlfriend has a Sugarglider! She is allergic to pet dander, but has no problems with her little 'Smurf'!
She carries him around everywhere she goes! Usually in a pocket of her shirt or jacket.
Might be something to look into!
15 Purple Pinchers, 1 Doberman Pincher (female), 1 Albino California King Snake, 1 Boa Constrictor Imperator and 6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Post by Gizaroo »

My boyfriend and I want to get a sugar glider(or two) one day! They are so cute!
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.