Hermies activities during weather fronts

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Hermies activities during weather fronts

Post by ladybug15057 »

Today in the U.S. we have a nasty weather front that is in central U.S. and moving east. When the after effects hit my local area from hurricane Ivan and we got flooded (and I live on a hill away from steams and such) I noted a difference in the behavior of our hermies. Majority of them took off for 'higher crabitat'. Corals, choya's second levels, vines, etc. This front coming today is not actually a hurricane, but is suppose to be quite severe with higher winds. I will be watching our tanks to see what if any different behavior these little ones do.
If anybody else notes any behavior changes, please do note them so we can all hopefully learn any changes in behaviors while in captivity. (this includes other countries and area's that note behavior during weather fronts/systems) Has anybody noted any in the past?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hermies activities during weather fronts

Post by ZuZu »

thats interesting! we live nowhere near the place where the main storm'll be but we are also having high winds. I noticed when the winds started they acted strangely they where digging tunnels and hiding under ground, which did not seem significant to me until you mentioned your crabs behavior...
WEIRD 8|
(I feel like aliens are gonna abduct me or something now X( )
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

The front when it went through here yesterday was quick, only lasted several minutes. I noted some were on 'higher' ground, others within the huts and only 1 sitting in the food dish in one of the tanks. The tanks seemed to become quite still compared to other days.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 0

Post by Mim »

We've had some very major rainfalls and flooding all around us due to a cyclone a couple of weeks ago...
Now 2 of my crabs do spen a lot of time climbing around the top of the tank, but when all the rain came through, they were ALL around the top!! As soon as the rain settled, they came back down...
They were also talking alot.. Poor little things must have been so freaked out by it all!!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

So Mim you're saying they were a bit on the vocal side too? (I noted this with a few of ours here when we had the run off flood of hurricane Ivan)
I find it amazing how being inside and within a crabitat how hermies seem to still be able to tell the weather outside? Maybe they can feel the barometer pressure within the tank more than what we think?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

My guys are quite talkative at the best of times... But they went nuts!! They must be able to sense something... I guess it's a bit like my knees when the barometer drops.. My knees go each time!!
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

We are now facing 2 cyclones within a week...
Anthony is a cat 1 that is expected either tomorrow or Monday, North of us.. (the cyclone that started all these floods, Tasha, was a cat 1)
Then by thursday, we will have Yasi.. A possible cat 4 cyclone... This looks like hitting the Gladstone area... (where I live..)
Will keep you posted on the crabby goings on... Will be an interesting experience...
rhemaangel
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by rhemaangel »

And we have Cyclone Bianca getting ready to hit here in W.A. :S

And, as I wrote before the forum was so rudely interupted -- all my non-molters had hunkered down for the rains we had last week. Same again today. Yesterday all the non-molters were up & active all day (NOT normal for them). We also noticed that they were a bit bolder than usual. XD
Sally M
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Mim »

Was wondering what happened to the other posts!! Poor Wai!!
I saw some photos from a friend in exmouth.. They had the outskirts of Bianca... Looks intense.. Not looking forward to going through it.. Especially a cat 4... (newbie to cyclones...)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I've backed up everything now, so even if the site goes down again, I can set it up again elsewhere.
Wai