New purple pincher tank

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: New purple pincher tank

Post by Purple pinchers »

Well i have decided not to make a second level for the 10gal tank because i found a cracked 30gal tank that is useless for fish because it leaks water but its perfect for holding crabs :) . So i am going to be setting up a 30gal insted. Then get a few more crabs (Maybie a Strawberry) later this spring
*Pack Rat*
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

Well i am thinking of getting a UTH for my new 30gal but i dont realy know if its better on the side or under the tank. what do you think is better a heater on the side or under the tank? (Plz include pros/cons)

Edit: Did a search on this fourm and found some people say its better on the side of the tank and some others saying under the tank is the best. I am so confused lol :S
*Pack Rat*
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by FreeCrabby »

I'm not sure but if you do on side sand needs to be deep enough to be a bit effective. And if underneath I remember reading a long time ago that so the crabs don't dig down right to the bottom of the tank and stay for a while direct on top and burn up to put some glass rocks or something between the glass and sand to stop them laying direct on the glass over that spot and warming up to much....
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

Well i have decide to put the UTH under the tank. :)

Now i am thinking about the water because i will be haveing lardger water bowls for the crabs. I am afraid he smallest crab wont be able to get out of the water bowls so i was woundering what do you use in your water bowls so the crabs can get out? I have a plastic net bag that had some other plastic bags in it (here is a pic i found online that might give u a better idea) Image But my problem is is the net it safe for them??
*Pack Rat*
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

Also what UTH do you think would be the best? I found this one
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Medium-Re ... 175&sr=1-7 It says its for a 30-40gal tank. or this one http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Large-Rep ... 175&sr=1-6 Its a large for a 50-60gal tank but its 1$ cheaper then the medium (dont know why) and its alot bigger. So what one do you think would work better for a 30gal. Also what thermostat is better http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti-Tem ... 844&sr=1-4 or http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Temperature ... 844&sr=1-3

*Pack Rat*
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

I can't see the photo properly as I'm on my phone- will look later or someone else may know! I used glass pebbles/rocksin mine to help them get out - check out Wais gallery pics and see the plastic ladder he used in his bowls - I'm going to try similar! I'm not sure on uhts sorry! Google peoples experiences of each or someone here may know - sorry :(
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

What you need to do is measure the bottom of your tank. (length and width) Get the UTH that covers about 1/2 of the outside of the tanks floor. (this needs to be done due to the varying sizes of tanks) Like a 20 gal tall, 20 gal (24 inches by 12 inches) and a 20 gal long (30 inches by 12 inches) all have a different floor size. Do you have a plastic plant or such you could drape in and out of the pond for the little ones to get in and out by?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

Well the 30gal is a 30gal long, its 36 inches long so that would mean i want the large. And about the plant idea, i never thought of that. I think i will eather put a plastic plant in the water or use some glass marble things to help them get out.
*Pack Rat*
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

:o i found this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=13990 (I have some left over) would this work for putting a small strip in the water so they can get out? The reviews and discription tells about how they used it for turtle tanks in the water and it worked great. So do you think that would work? (i had another thread awhile back about this stuff being used for a second story but not about if its safe in water)
*Pack Rat*
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

Whatever you use you need to make sure it wont leak water into the sand - i.e if you had a piece of cotton material (just as an example) in the water and then also touching the sand it actually drains all the water and places it in the sand! how do I know (?) haha I did it myself so from experience! and then found out that I am not the only one who has haha *| XD