Substrate Temp.

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Substrate Temp.

Post by D'sCrabs »

My substrate temp is 80 i dont have a UTH. Is that to high?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Substrate Temp.

Post by ladybug15057 »

Is there a cooler end to... of 71-73* F? Are you using a light?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by D'sCrabs »

no light and that temp was the middle of the tank and it sits away from a window I don't understand why it was so high.. I really dont..
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

It will tend to be the same temp as the air in the tank if it is that temp all over. It's not too hot for them, but they do need a cooler area to move to if they can.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by D'sCrabs »

Thats the crazy thing my therm. said tank was roughly 78 so when substrate was 80 I figured one of the therms was wrong so I double check with a second set it said same thing.. Now today everything is back at 76.... I recon it was a fluke but gessesh it messed with my mind...
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

There is usually a difference between the air and substrate temp and at times can be much greater. In the past there have been a few who had an air temp of about 74*F or so, had hermies leaving shells to find their substrate temp was 90-100*F.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by D'sCrabs »

I quess its good I have plenty of levels for them to head for the hills then....
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

This does help with making a variable in the temps.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

oy I had no idea that could happen, Marie! I stand corrected.
So does this mean the substrate itself is generating heat somehow? It couldn't go OVER the air temp unless it was, is my logic. It could trap heat and stay warm longer than the air above, but to actually go above?
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I'm not quite sure what you are asking CJ? But it is VERY possible for the air temp of a tank to be much lower that what the actual substrate temp is. There have been times when crabbers were so concerned about the air temp of a tank (which is good too to a degree) that they kept trying to produce more heat to bump up the temp to find their substrate temp was 100*F and 100*F+. (almost like what happened with Mario) I learned this the hard way too many years ago. :(
And substrate will hold the warmth (and coolness) longer than air temp. (why in the wild and in our tanks hermies are known to burrow for warmth AND coolness)

Edited to add: with a substrate temp of 80*F, the hermies do still need a cooler area of 71-73*F or so to regulate their body temp.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)