Nearly had a disaster with a thermometer

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Nearly had a disaster with a thermometer

Post by appps »

One of my kids decided to put a glass stick on the glass thermometer we had in the craab ctank but didnt stick it on the glass properly. It fell off and I noticed and hung it at the back of the tank next to my stick on one thinking Id check how accurate my other thermometres were by seeming if they all read the same.

Anyway, fast forward to the next day and my other daughter notices that there is no bottom in the glass thermometre! I hadnt even noticed, when it dropped it must have hit some rocks in their salt water pond and the very bottom only had sheared off. All these little tiny black balls from inside its base had fallen into the pond. To be honest It was a cheap pet store thermometre and Id always thought it was a type of plastic not real glass so I was surprised.

Ive cleaned the whole thing out and wiped it over, thrown the rocks and shells that were in there out and replaced with new.

No name had a couple of swims before we noticed so hopefully they werent anything too toxic in those little balls. My husband thinks it most likely to be lead though ugh. Not great so thank goodness my daughter has better eyes than I do!!
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com