Breeding?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Breeding?

Post by Purple pinchers »

I know its extremly hard to breed crabs but i know some have done it. So What size of tank have people been able to breed crabs in? I have read some people useing 50gal tanks and other say 500gal tanks but i am realy not sure if eather are true. Anyone know any facts about them breeding?
*Pack Rat*
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Re: Breeding?

Post by rmbrmb »

If your trying to breed these suckers you'll need around $1000
But, if your still interested read below:

First off, get the female layin'
To get a female to lay eggs have an out door tank. It is VERY rare for females to have eggs in a indoor tank. You need to keep a male and a female to get eggs (of course) so be sure you know your crab's gender.

Next, have a saltwater tank setup. 30-50 gallons will work fine. The tank must have about a halfway full amount of saltwater in it. You must also create a ramp device so baby crabies can get out when time. You will need to filter this tank but you can't use a filter. (It'll kill baby crabies) You must use LIVE rock (rember it, what are you gona rember, exactly, get it got it good) to filter all the baddie bacteria. But, you must hav had the tank ready for about 3-4 months before hand for the filtering process to begin. Also, BABY SHELLS buy a huge lot about as big as this: ---

When everything is ready after a month of the female having her eggs put her on the ramp. WATCH CLOSELY!!!!! If she goes down her eggs hatch instantly! You may see the itty-bitty little larva commin out of momma's shell. If nothing happends for a long while... put the mommy back. These babbies won't be born. :(

For more info go to:

http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Hermit-C ... -a/152.htm
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Breeding?

Post by Purple pinchers »

:P ya i wasn't planing on breeding them.... maybe in a few more years ;)

Thanks for the info thats just what i was looking for :)
*Pack Rat*