Digging In Corners

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Joshiewowa
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 23
Total tanks: 2

Digging In Corners

Post by Joshiewowa »

I got my crab about five days ago in Gulf Shores, Alabama.(my first crab so i'm really inexperienced)This morning, when i checked on him, he was digging a hole in one of the corners.Is this normal for hermit crabs to do, or does it have something to do with the fact i just recently got him?My substrate ise sand, and he is in a 3 gallon tank.Please post some replies, i'm really nervous cause this is my first pet tha is actually mine alone.Thanks!
1 PP:Peanut
phynyx525
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 15

Re: Digging In Corners

Post by phynyx525 »

Hi Josh. I am new to crabbing also, I have two purple pinchers. I've noticed that my crabs did a lot of digging and hiding when I first got them. It takes them a while to get used to their environment and they are usually stressed from being taken from one environment to another. I've also found that they do this during the day, when they are less active, and come out at night. Hermit Crabs also bury themselves when they molt (Shed their old skin for a newer larger one). I have no experience with this, but you will find lots of information on this site and a lot of helpful people who have tons of experience who will help you out. Just wanted to let you know that digging is normal and that you should give Peanuts some time to de-stress and get used to his new environment.
Mike
PP Crabs: Helios and Caesar
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Them digging is OK. he might be scared, wants to get away from it all, molt or just stay cool (it might be to warm for him)
BTW: you should get another crab as they are very social, eg. you on face book! (if you have Facebook)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by rmbrmb »

Also, you NEED to get a bigger tank! (At least a 10 gallon although 20 is better) 3 gallons is too squished! Yeah, digging is nothing to be afraid of! :)
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
Joshiewowa
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Joshiewowa »

first ill reply to phynyx525, thanks for the help, im glad to know theres other people out there at the same stage in crab care as me! :D
Joshiewowa
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Joshiewowa »

now to aussie, thanks for the advice about another crab, my dad said we'll see how it goes with peanut, and we might get another if it goes well
Joshiewowa
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Joshiewowa »

thanks for the tank suggestion rmbrmb, my dad is looking for his other, larger aquarium as we speak
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Digging is usually a normal part of a hermies life, but when we first get them we should keep them from digging under. One should offer a hut for them to seek shelter in, but keeping them above substrate helps them to adjust better to the tanks conditions. Please read:
http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... toryid=165

This is very important to do, and can keep a hermie from passing due to PPS.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.