What am I going to have to do?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
noahc66
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 1

What am I going to have to do?

Post by noahc66 »

I have had 3 crabs since june 10th, but a question struck me. When 2 of them die, what will I do? I know they dont like living alone. I do not plan on getting any more after these 3, because this was a one time rescue operation from the horrible conditions of the pet store.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total tanks: 2

Re: What am I going to have to do?

Post by emmac350 »

If you find yourself in that situation, then your last crab will be alone until (s)he dies. It may make its death come slightly faster, given the higher stress level of being alone, but it certainly won't necessarily kill it immediately or even after a few months, depending on how well it's being cared for.

Alternatively, you could get addicted like the rest of us and just get more anyway. XD
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

If this does happen, how will you feel about adopting them from people that can't care for there lil ones any longer? Sometimes, people often don't know how to care for them or there "child got bored of it as it never moved" and so you not supporting the petstores and you rescuing a crab that is in need. And most of the time, the crab comes with free stuff - I adopted 5 crabs for free, including a 20G tank, coconut fiber, 2 great wood peices, shells, hidy hole which all crabs love and heat and moonlight lamp... :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
noahc66
Zygote
Zygote

Post by noahc66 »

I live in New Hampshire so I don't think that there any near by places where I can adopt any.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

noahc66 wrote:I live in New Hampshire so I don't think that there any near by places where I can adopt any.
There is a few american web sites which "sells" (out for adoption) like Kijiji (?)(did I spell correctly?) and a few others - check all web sites where you can get animals off.. :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6

Post by emmac350 »

There is a hermit crab adoption website at http://hermitcrabadoptioncenter.wordpress.com/. It's run by ladybug15057, one of the mods here, but it hasn't seemed to do much lately. Craigslist is something to watch (in the US) in both the free section and the pets section.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
noahc66
Zygote
Zygote

Post by noahc66 »

I just checked out craigslist for the first and that sounds like the best option, there are no hermit crab listings in NH so far, I will check it every other day. What is the maximum amount of crabs that can be in one 20 gallon tank?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

noahc66 wrote:I just checked out craigslist for the first and that sounds like the best option, there are no hermit crab listings in NH so far, I will check it every other day. What is the maximum amount of crabs that can be in one 20 gallon tank?
I would say 4 small crabs, however each tank is different, you know when there is a overload :)

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

The adoption center is slow, I haven't had much time to post all the info. But new adoptee listings are being posted, but not the adopters who are filling out the form. Craigslist and free cycle are good things to look into as well.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.