Buying a Crab

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Tulip
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Buying a Crab

Post by Tulip »

Hello all.

I'm a new member here, so please bear with my frankly gauche questions, I'm at the beginning of my Crabby journey.

I'm very hesitant to buy crabs from a pet store; I don't know where they've come from or how they've been treated, and actively avoid even entering Pet Stores with kittens or puppies on sale because of their dubious upbringing and sources. However, this leaves me with little option to own crabs, as I can't seem to find crab breeders (understandable). Any insight as to where I can ethically source my crabs would be great.

Thanks for this great learning source, I want to make sure I'm fully prepared before I set up a tank and such.

Kind regards, Tulip
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Re: Buying a Crab

Post by aussieJJDude »

Don't worry, it better to ask a question then get it wrong by not asking a question! There is never a silly question....

Have you looked on gumtree around your area??? I got to admit, around me, I find it a bit hard to adopt crabs so I normally stick with good pet stores - ones that keep the crabs in good condition...
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Tulip
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Tulip »

Thanks for the reply. I had seen some in Pet Stock nearby which looked very content climbing, with dishes of coconut shreds and water. Perhaps I will have to go the pet shop route as it looks like I shall be without crabbies otherwise!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I've noticed that the Pets Paradise stores have disappeared one after another and have been replaced by a different chain. I never liked the way Pets Paradise stores kept their hermit crabs, so I guess it's not a bad thing.
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Wai wrote:I've noticed that the Pets Paradise stores have disappeared one after another and have been replaced by a different chain. I never liked the way Pets Paradise stores kept their hermit crabs, so I guess it's not a bad thing.
There is a pets paradise at greensbrough where I got Kiwii...
It was a really good store however, when I went in there a month ago, I was horrified! Words couldn't describe it, it is one of my top 10 horrible stores i have been too!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Tulip
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Tulip »

They're being replaced by Pets at Play, but they still sell puppies so I won't step foot in them. Will have a butchers nearby and see what I can see!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

Tulip wrote:They're being replaced by Pets at Play, but they still sell puppies so I won't step foot in them. Will have a butchers nearby and see what I can see!
Most stores sell puppies, so your going to be searching hard!