Misting

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
kpape1993
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 5
Total tanks: 2

Misting

Post by kpape1993 »

Hey everyone. I saw that some most people mist their crabs and crab tanks and I have read that they are more active and like being misted. However every time i mist the tank and get close to even the side of the tank they are on both my hermits hide. Is this at all normal? I'm using room temp water not at all freezing cold or hot and it isn't a powerful spray either?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Misting

Post by ladybug15057 »

Are you spraying them outside of the tank for play time? (to keep their gills moist while out of the tank) Other than that misting is not needed. How long have you had your hermies? Have they had time to de-stress?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
kpape1993
Zygote
Zygote

Post by kpape1993 »

I have had them for a week. but they already love to craw on my hands and don't shy away from me. i just realized they don't like the spray they love after i spray inside the tank for humidity, but hate it when i do it. its confusing
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Your hermies are new and have been though so much since they were pulled from their natural home. They should be permitted at least 2 weeks, (better if it was a month) prior to any form of handling. This is a very critical time in their lives, and could be lethal if not permitted the time to adjust to their new environment. Also help them to slowly adjust to proper conditions.

In your first post you wrote: August 17th, 2014, 7:18 pm
However every time i mist the tank and get close to even the side of the tank they are on both my hermits hide.
but in the previous post: August 17th, 2014, 7:18 pm
but they already love to craw on my hands and don't shy away from me.
Sounds like they need time to adjust. One can speak softly while they approach the tank, change food & water so the hermies get adjusted to the vibrations of their voice so they learn you mean them no harm.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
kpape1993
Zygote
Zygote

Post by kpape1993 »

Yeah, I'm going to stop using the mister for now. And let them be. They don't seem to mind me, they come out when i bring them food and like i said when i held them. They just hid when i misted them. But hopefully me not handling them will get them used to the mister a little more later.