Video of huge hermit migration on St Johns Island

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Carrie
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 1

Video of huge hermit migration on St Johns Island

Post by Carrie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3aRZ2lt6W4

Someone videotaped a huge migration of hermit crabs on St John's Island. Normally there aren't nearly this many crabs, apparently. The crabs come down from the trees and rocks to mate and lay their eggs in the ocean. It's an incredible video for those who want to see crabs in the wild.
Carrie
Dedicated to those who have gone before.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Video of huge hermit migration on St Johns Island

Post by emmac350 »

The thing that stuck out to me in that video was the coloring of the crabs - they were SO. DARK. It's very rare that you find crabs that dark in captivity/pet stores...perhaps we ought to be adding more dark leafy/tannin-rich goodies to our crabs' diets in hopes of someday having a crab that color?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Carrie
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 1

Re: Video of huge hermit migration on St Johns Island

Post by Carrie »

Yes, they were all very dark. Camille was pale when i got her and she's darkened up. I think it may be calcium that does it. Like you said, too, tannin. I would hate to trip and fall in front of a mass of crabs like that, tho.. lol
Carrie
Dedicated to those who have gone before.