Newcomer Acceptance

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Newcomer Acceptance

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All....I just bought a new crab and put her in with my 3 medium males she is smaller then them...I just saw one male Chakotay take interest in her scent and when they met at the dome home entrance i got nervous...Their feelers were going crazy touching each others and Chakotay did raise his little claw a couple times but then went past her into the dome....she then came out slightly only to turn around and face Chakotay again they are about 1-2 inches apart staring at each other...is this a good sign...Is it unlikely they will attack because she is female or doesnt it matter..they have moved Chakotay is facing the dome entrance(from inside the dome this time) and i cant see my girl but she should still be in the dome too...if they were to not get along would there be fighting early on or can fighting happen at any time...my 3 boys i bought together as the last 3 left in the tank 1 month ago and they haven't had a single fight
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Re: Newcomer Acceptance

Post by POPPIT »

Ok i just saw Chakotay flick my new girl in the face with his claw she retracted a bit but then walked around behind him and started pushing his shell slighty...oh no just saw Chakotay climbing on her shell and push her behind him is this something to worry about or is it pecking order and normal...Chakotay climbed a tree now he dashed to the food dish
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Keep an eye on them but let them work it out. If your crabs try to pull her from her shell you should intervene but they have to establish their dominance in the tank. Since she's smaller than the rest it shouldn't take long before they'll all be chilling together.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Ah i am very much hoping it is just them sorting out dominance....I lit up the dome with my light as i cant see in there and just wanted to check on them....They were face to face i think they were stomping(looked the same as when they try to get the sand off their legs)feeler touching and they turned around....I can just see Chakotay now climbing on a plant, hopefully my girl is ok as i cant see her atm....I will separate them if i see them grabbing and pulling at her, i just cleaned out my last tank which will be an iso which is 6gal...If one of them is naughty i will put them in iso timeout lol....I cant wait for them to be chillin together lol....Im still waiting to bring them out for an exercise run they have been hiding ever since i decided to do that lol
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

I agree with Emmaac - I would a very close eye on them. I had a shell stolen from one of my big guys a while ago and she would NOT move into another. Although, personally I love watching non-violent antennae fights haha.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Antennae fights are the funniest...Chakotay and Neelix were out before but i haven't seen my girl for a while...its hard to see in the dome (they all love the dome)
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I just spotted my girl out and she looks ok