Don't know how good tank is, and hermits are all dormant

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Don't know how good tank is, and hermits are all dormant

Post by Love the hermits »

no prob, i check this thread a few times a day ha ha
1. ok great, i will definitely look into some turbos, where is the best place to get them for cheap?
2. that is indeed the food that i use, I will definitely get rid of it. Other then the regular fruits and veggies i give them is there any kind of hermit crab food that would be alright for them? Also where can I get the powder you were talking about
3. ok, it is not leaching anything that i can see, it is a human grade bowl
4. Ok, do you have any specific recommendations on a good heater for a 20 gal?
5. i will get the thermometer/hygrometer when i have the spare change
6. yes, i use water from a brita
7. for the salt water? i use a petstore aquarium salt water
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Do you know what kind of wood the bowl is made from? If it's pine, then it isn't crab safe. A list of safe vs. unsafe woods can be found at http://crabstreetjournal.org/blog/2014/ ... safe-wood/.

I've seen turbos in bags of decorative shells at home decorating stores (Michael's, Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, etc.) or you can buy a pack of them at Naples Seashells (online).

If you want food you can get from a pet store, go to the reptile/fish section. Jars of brine shrimp, krill, plankton, crickets, etc. are all crab-safe and the protein will keep aggression in your tank down.

Brita filters don't make your water crab-safe. I'd recommend just picking up a jug of distilled water every few weeks for the crabs from the store. I've seen them for less than a dollar at WalMart and grocery stores. It's guaranteed to be safe, whereas Brita says that it doesn't remove everything from the tap water going into it.

Is your salt mix described as being for saltwater aquariums? Not quite sure what you were describing in your answer. You want salt that people use for keeping ocean tanks at home. A lot of pet stores also offer "fresh water salt" which has tricked me in the past, so no judgment from me...just the voice of experience!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Love the hermits »

I do not know the wood, but if i had to make guess i would say oak
alright, so if i find them, just boil them and i should be good?
thanks for the food ideas, i will totally use them
thats good to know about the water, ill get a jug of water next time I'm out
sorry for wording that poorly, yes it is a salt mix for aquariums and made for ocean tanks
also as of late i have been getting a lot of white fuzzy mold, is this just something i have to deal with, or is there something i can do to minimize this?
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Yep - make sure the shells don't have a clear, shiny coating before boiling them though as they can mess up your pan and the other shells.

What is the mold on? Are you sure it's mold (as opposed to the salt buildup you can get if you use salt water to keep things damp)? If it's mold, take everything on the surface out of the tank and boil/bake it to kill the mold. Remove the top layer of substrate. Make sure your tank has airflow - stagnant air is more likely to allow mold growth. Double check your humidity levels - levels in the 70-85-ish range don't usually get mold, but above 85 can encourage mold. Use salt water to dampen things instead of fresh since salt naturally inhibits mold.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.