Don't know how good tank is, and hermits are all dormant

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Don't know how good tank is, and hermits are all dormant

Post by Love the hermits »

So i have a 20 gal long and four hermit crabs. They are all more often then not hiding in a log or somewhere. Are they ok, sorry if this question sounds dumb but I'm rather new with them. also I don't know how good my setup is so how do i post pics of it to get feedback? Thanks!
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Re: Don't know how good tank is, and hermits are all dormant

Post by appps »

Depending on how busy the area is you have them it can take them a while to get used to our comings and goings and not stay hidden. They have to get used to the idea you aren't going to eat them :-)

Not sure if it's the same on the computer but on my ipad there is an attach files button below where you type your message, select your photo through that and upload and it will show up at the end of your message when you post.

If you want it somewhere in particular in your message, put the curser where you want it and select the place inline option.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote

Alright, I've had them for upwards of 3-4 weeks now, is that normal? Sorry if these questions seem stupid but online sites are anything but consistent and have tons of misguided information. Also just wondering why did my one molt then move to a smaller shell that she does not fit into? I have 6 shells that are more her size but the chose the one small one that i got for another of my crabs, he is a bit smaller ten the others
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

Any question is a question - they are valid! Some crabs just need a bit of extra time, where you got them will also affect how long they are quiet for. I'm not sure what the weather is like in America currently, but they generally like humid, hot days as well - I find mind go almost completely dormant in Winter. Crabs moving into smaller shells is fine - its a great sign that they are changing at all! When they moult, they are often smaller until the 'harden' their new exoskeleton, so you may find that she changes into a larger one soon enough.
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote

Alright, thank you so much for understanding, i got them from a local pet store, don't know if that helps. sorry for seeming repetitive but i still can't upload pics, just not sure how it works. It is fall here, almost winter and rather dry and cold here
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Ok, so for uploading photos do the following in order:
User control panel - gallery - manage albums - upload image.
Could you describe the conditions that the crabs were kept in in the petstore, and could you also please describe your tank for us (as much detail as possible!)
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote

Ok, thank you so much i got them uploaded, now how do i show them yo you guys? It was a place in the store with a lot of drift wood and vines, wood bark substrate, and food and water in every corner
Mine is a 20 gal long, it uses eco each, in one spot i have a wooden bowl with large river rocks and that is their fresh water bowl, then across from that is the small salt water bowl. and there is a large food bowl to. then as you move along it slopes down because under the substrate is another bowl with a LARGE hole cut into it that they can hide in, then a cork bark tube with vines on it and some beaver-chewed wood that my dad brought me from the field(i boiled it 3 times) and then lastly there is a coconut hut, i made it out of a real coconut and i just cut a hole into it. also there are the 4 crabs and 7 extra shells
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

You are very welcome. I went into your gallery and had a look at the photos you uploaded and it looks like you have made a good start. But I do have some suggestions and questions.
1. What breed and how big are your hermit crabs? The shells in the photo looked like some that most crabs would not prefer. I would opt to find some turbos in your area, they are usually supper easy to find and cheap.
2. What type of food are you feeding them? It looks like you might have some pellets, if so, could you please specify the brand that you are using? (Most commercial hermit crab foods contain a few ingredients which should not be given to them).
3. I am not so sure about using a wooden bowl as a water bowl, as it may be leaching unknown "stuff" (for want of a better word), into the water. Better options could be plastic or glass bowls.
4. Do you have any source of heat for the tank? Because crabs live in a tropical environment, it is better to provide some unless you live somewhere that is warm year round.
5. Do you measure the humidity at all? It looks like your substrate is damp and firm, which is great.
Sorry if it sounds like I am picking apart all your work, but it looks as if you have a good strong basis to start off with, it just needs some tweaking :)
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote

Ok
1. They are purple pinchers, medium size, ill try to get around to uploading a pic of one in my hand for a size comparison
2. i feed them a lot of fruits and veggies(all organic) and some Zoo Med Hermit crab food
3. I boiled the bowl if that makes a difference, but if not they i could look into changing it, the bowl hide that i had a pic of is from the same set just larger
4. I do not have a heater on my tank, i never got the memo that i needed one, i will definitely put it on my list. I live on the east coast of the united states
5. i do not have a gauge but the substrate is very damp and firm, i have a lid made for keeping humidity in(the edge lets enough room for air to circulate too)

its ok, my main goal is to have the best hermit crab habitat that i possibly can, and i know that is your goal too!
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thanks for your quick response!
1. 20gal sounds fine for 4 medium PPs, again - finding some turbos would be your best bet.
2. Fruits and veggies are great, the zoo med food if it is the type here: http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDeta ... ntryID=197, I would highly recommend to stop using it - all sorts of ingredients which I would avoid. In addition, make sure they are getting some sort of meat/protein (eg. Nuts) and a source of calcium (crushed oyster shells or cuttlebone sprinkled over the food is easiest) as much as possible is also good. For additional nutrition info, the "epicurean hermit" is a great site to look at.
3. I'm a bit stumped on the wooden bowl, if it is not leaching visible substances Ito the water, has been boiled (as you stated), and is human grade(?) I think it would probably be OK.
4. There are some good heating topics on here if you use the search bar, but as a general guideline, something that I would have liked to had been told was that if you choose a heat mat, you select the largest that will cover the entire back of your tank with the highest wattage possible. It will *not* put off too much heat. It should be insulated and located on the side. a ceramic heat emitter are a little more touchy as they have a danger of burning you and your crabs, it drains the humidity a lot and it is safest with a thermostat.
5. I would suggest buying a hygrometer and thermometer (they can come combined). I got mine locally off eBay for around $7 AUS dollars. Otherwise, most decent Petstores or hardware store will sell variations of them. Humidity should be between 80-90% relative humidity, temp 23-27 degrees Celsius or 74-80 Fahrenheit.

New questions:
6. Do you use a dechlorinator for your water/is it distilled or bottled?
7. Penang type of salt do you use?