My second crab died, how soon should I get another?

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
bddesanc
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

My second crab died, how soon should I get another?

Post by bddesanc »

My second crab died. My remaining crab seems pretty happy (fairly active, not lethargic, eats and drinks on the regular, has changed shells a few times, doesn't get scared when I put my hand near him, though I've never picked him up yet).

I have a 20gal tank. We got the crabs two weeks ago. The second crab died about a week ago, and I've concluded after a lot of research that he was really sick when we got him - my boyfriend bought them and said he didn't see him move at all, and the guy at the store said he wasn't moving much either. =(

I'm going to mexico on in a few days, for 10 days. My crabsitter seems competent. Should I get a new crab so my guy has a friend before I go, or after I come back? Will he be okay alone for so long, especially since my crabsitter probably won't hang out with him like I do? Thanks!
GitaBooks
Zygote
Zygote

Re: My second crab died, how soon should I get another?

Post by GitaBooks »

I'm sorry about your crab.

Because a disease could be the cause of your hermie's death I would suggest not getting another crab for at least two weeks, to make sure that your remaining one is not sick. After that you can buy a crab and you should keep it in a separate cage until you know it is healthy as well before introduction. This is called quarantine and will allow you to see if any hidden diseases develop.

Your first crab should be okay on its own a while, as though crabs can be kept together they don't need to be kept together as, say, a rat or mouse might.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: My second crab died, how soon should I get another?

Post by ladybug15057 »

I would suggest waiting until you get back from Mexico to get another hermie. An iso tank should be prepared and regulated before you get back for your new hermie. The new one will need to adjust to captive living. Having shells, food, water etc. when they need it as opposed to the wild feeling they need to be aggressive towards another hermie for the things they need to survive. Also take note of the conditions at the pet store when you buy him/her. (temp and humidity) help them adjust slowly to proper conditions. (this can be found in the crab care section)
Sorry for your loss. :(
Have a safe trip!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.