Got a Job For You Fam!

Ask any hermit crab care questions in the appropriate section.
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Got a Job For You Fam!

Post by Love the hermits »

Hey guys, got a job for y'all! i just got a 55 gallon aquarium and I'm still in the process of cleaning it out. It's 48"L 12"W and 21"T and I've got TONS AND TONS of supplies and can get more. My question to you is what are your ideas to maximize space and create a crab paradise!
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Got a Job For You Fam!

Post by emmac350 »

Vertical! Your crabs will have tons of room to climb so maximize it. Climbing things on the walls, create puzzles where they can only get to the treat you put in the tank one way so they have to figure it out. Logs/branches, climbing nets or the like on walls, etc. Maybe a hanging bridge or 3 between upper levels. Most of my crabs' time is spent in the upper levels so figure out something awesome!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote

Alright! My initial plan has been to have levels, so excited!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Have like a "racing track" around the perimeter of the tank so the crabs can run around! :) Gives them space to run and play!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote

Awesome idea! totally doing that! Loving the idea guys!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with Emma, but just make sure you have a screen top or something where it is impossible for the little ones to escape by. These guys/gals here even climb the silicone on the inside of the tank corners! Once on top, a few still shimmy along the inside of the screen!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

Marie - YES! I've had several escapes that way, and even now crabs will climb up and hang around the top of the tank...and I have large crabs.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote

Ha ha! odnt worry I've got a nice lit. Its solid gass that folds, but the black is plastic so you can poke air holes in it, and theres a slight gap for air in some places. I use some metal lid clips from the reptile area to help with extra security
Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote

Also I've got another question for y'all. Does anyone know of ANY way to get wood and climbing things for cheaper than pet stores?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

Backyard? off the net? $2 shops?
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.