Questions about unexpected problems.
newkrabbie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8

finding limbs

Post by newkrabbie »

Hello,
since last week I have found 2 small limbs and 1 small claw in the sand of my tank. What does that mean???? I have 8 crabs but only four are up, the others have gone down to molt or something. Haven't seen them in a few weeks. The four that are up seem to be fine, climbing, eating etc. I hate to disturb the others but I think I need to just to check on them to be sure they're ok. What do you think?

Karin
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: finding limbs

Post by Chermo »

Maybe the 4 that are up are digging down by the molters and stealing their exo pieces, I would not worry about it but maybe if you know where the molters are you can pop bottle over them. Check the 4 that are up and see if they are missing anything.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: finding limbs

Post by Wai »

Are the limbs solid? Try giving them a gentle squeeze. If they feel hollow (or you see that they are hollow), then your hermit crabs are indeed moulting.
Wai