bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

lost limb?

Post by bobo »

does it put a crb at a disadvantage if it is missing a limb, like make it slower, or harder for it to dig??
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
kennedy_family_mom
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Re: lost limb?

Post by kennedy_family_mom »

Of course it does...just as it would you if you were to lose a limb :)

But they adapt, and the limb will grow back.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

welll tht makes me feel a whole lot better :S
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

Don't worry, it'll grow back. Stella didn't have her big claw when I got her, and she grew that back half size (full size next molt, or the one after), and she's doing fine. Darla also was missing a back leg when I got her and she grew it back to about 3/4 of the regular size (full size next molt). They manage with out. After all, it's only temporary. :)
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

But im really worried about molting Ive never had one do it before, and I kinda dig up Quigley to play if hes like an inch down, is tht bad?
Becky
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

Yes. You should leave him be to see if he'll molt. If you keep digging him up, he'll never get a good cave going. Just let him do his thing.
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

I went to my soccer game, and I came back and I saw his shell was under in the sand!!!!! There was a little window and he is completly submerged, how long will he stay under for?? :D
Becky
Mr.Crab
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Mr.Crab »

kennedy_family_mom wrote:just as it would you if you were to lose a limb :)
Lol, it sounds as if your predicting somethings going to happen. Lol.
!!! pictures of my medium pp (take a look and plz comment)
http://hermitcrabparadise.com/forums/vi ... 911#p17911

[[NO PAINTED SHELLS, PAINTED SHELLS ARE TOXIC!!]]
[[PLEASE, ONLY BUY NATURAL SHELLS, WITH NO FINISHES OR SHINES. OR CLEAR COATS!!]]
Carrie
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30

Post by Carrie »

They do adapt. AK lost two legs on one side (not at the same time) and she learned how to use her claw as a leg. She lost some agility but she was still doing some pretty amazing climbing, considering. I was worried about how she'd be for her molt b/c maybe you had to have a balance of muscles on either side to make things go smoothly... but she did just fine. She had two gel-limbs before that molt, and now has her "half-legs," as I call them, the regrown legs that are 3/4 the size and brightly colored. In this molt (she's been under for 2 weeks now) she will have whole legs again.

When she molted last time and suddenly had two functional legs on that side again she had to re-learn how to walk with them. :) She was so confused.

If you want to see pictures of gel-limbs, go to the Gallery and look up my pictures of Claude and AK. Claude for her gel-limbs where her claws were supposed to be and AK's regrown legs.
Carrie
Dedicated to those who have gone before.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Also, digging them up all the time may affect them psychologically too. If you were a hermit crab and tried digging, but your owner kept digging you back up all the time, would you dare try to moult?
Wai