aries
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 3

Adopted 2 more guys missing limbs

Post by aries »

I just adopted 2 more huge guys (bigger than jumbo) with lost limbs. One is missing one leg and the other is missing small pincher and one leg. I now have all my guys that are missing legs in one iso together and they seem to be happy. My original one is coming out and visiting the others and I saw him at the food and water dishes last night. I think that is pretty exciting. I am also keeping the humidity in their tank higher than my new adoption iso and two main tanks. I will keep you updated.

Question-Do I need to crush up food for the ones missing limbs or should I let them pick it apart themselves?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Try crushing up the food. The jumbo may choose to eat with the big claw if he wants to, but if he doesn't seem to be eating at all, you may want to try hand-feeding him. Just leave him alone now to rest, and crush up hard bits of food.
Wai
aries
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 3

Post by aries »

Well, I lost one of the new guys last night but the other two are still going strong. The one I have had over a month seems quite happy to scoot around eating, drinking and sleeping and sometimes I pick him up to clean under him and he comes out to greet me. Silly Scooter. He seems to have adjusted fine. I hope the other one destresses and does well. I am certainly hoping Scooter makes it through amolt, he just seems so happy all the time. I love that guy. Everybody is always asking me how my two legged crab is and I tell them he's great and still living. They are always shocked to hear that. He's got spirit. Crushing the food helped him a lot. The other crab is missing one leg so he can eat just fine. Scooter became quite the little piggy with stuff he couldn't eat before that I was putting in the tank.
lilhermitgirl17
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhermitgirl17 »

Question: Ummm, how would you hand feed a crab? just curious. :D
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I use a toothpick, with the food on the end. Gently lower it to the hermie's mouth, and he'll use his mouthparts to eat (like us licking an ice-cream). Don't shove the whole toothpick into his throat though!
Wai
lilhermitgirl17
Zygote
Zygote

Post by lilhermitgirl17 »

Oh, cool. That makes sense. I hope that I won't have to, my hermits are both still pretty shy, I don't know if they would do that. They are both doing very well though. They both molted a few weeks ago, and seem to have much more energy, they are climbing on EVERYTHING now. The little one even clumbed up one of the choya wood pieces that I had on end, and went from it into the plastic palm tree. I couldn't find him anywere, he is still in the painted shell he came in, though he has plenty to change in to, and blended in. When I found him, I laughed. They are lots of fun.
craby_girl77
Zygote
Zygote

Post by craby_girl77 »

aww I am glad they got a good home I have done that too.