emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: literaly no legs

Post by emmac350 »

Yes. Any fresh fruits or veggies, if washed well, can be used (garlic is still a toss-up, as well as spices, but that's about it). They can have unseasoned cooked meats, and enjoy variety in their diets. Hermit crabs are evolutionarily predisposed to not eat the same thing two days in a row. They would rather go without food in most cases than eat the same thing twice in a row. This helps them in the wild because it helps them to take in a full spectrum of nutrients.

For an idea on what you can feed your crabs, you can look at the foods offered at the addiction store. Even if you don't buy anything, everything there is crab-safe.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
greenshellhermit
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 4

Post by greenshellhermit »

sorry for thw lost pookie :(
rip green shell hermit :(
pookie_spike09
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by pookie_spike09 »

thx
i love crabbys-mooseloveher
RIP pookie RIP spike RIP leonardo
catch me on my email- liz_pink97@yahoo.com
pookie_spike09
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by pookie_spike09 »

it seems 2 me that hermez don't really care what they eat as long as it is not bad for them... oh and what foods are bad 4 them (?) (?) (?)
-Elizabeth(pookie_spike09)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

As a responsible owner, it is up to the crabber to ensure they offer the hermies a well balanced healthy diet as one would do with any other pet they own.
An example here would be hermies love 100% pure honey, probably as much as children love candy. Just because they love it, is a steady diet healthy for them? No... one must offer the fruits, veggies, proteins, calcium, chitin etc.
And yes, studies/research has shown that hermies will not eat the same foods as they ate before for up to a week or longer, so one must offer a variety of foods.
For some safe foods, check out: http://www.hermitcrabcuisine.com/
You may also wish to go to the top right of the screen and use the search box too. Type in safe foods or even favorite foods, etc. Wonderful feature here on the site. :)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
pookie_spike09
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by pookie_spike09 »

thx my hermez seem to eat more now that i am chanding her food varietys.
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by deathbatbabe6661 »

poor baby...put him in the iso,,,for a verry long time untill his limbs grow back...untill then you need to nurse the poor guy...like a baby...feed it,bathe it,and give him water...hes a handi cap right now,but you can help!!!

i hope all is best,and dont give up on your beloved pookie!! :D
~*Miko,Malibu,Mr.Finger,&Pedro<3*~

RIP:krabby,hermy,mr.krabs,mrs.krabs,piwi hermit.Spanky,pipa
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by deathbatbabe6661 »

im sorry for your pooky :'(
~*Miko,Malibu,Mr.Finger,&Pedro<3*~

RIP:krabby,hermy,mr.krabs,mrs.krabs,piwi hermit.Spanky,pipa
Syko84
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Syko84 »

Hi :) new to the site here. Sorry to the OP for your lost :( ... me and my wife lost 2 ourselves. I figured out why one died (too long of a drive from store to my house in a card board box.. its a 45min drive... lost all his limbs accept for his small pincher within the next 2 days that I bought him). The second... is probably from a bad set up.. that I have been improving. The damp towel idea is genius.. I just set that up! Thank you Chermo for that!!

I been trying to download so much information in the past few weeks since I bought my crabs into my brain. I have a question about the fruits and veggies. Do you guys use only organic foods.. or is it safe to use regular fruits and veggies. We are afraid to feed our crabs them because of pesticides that are used.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Most people use organic stuff. If you have a food dehydrator, you can buy the fruits/veggies and then dry the extras for later. If not, you could freeze them in small pieces. I tend to use whatever I eat, I just make sure to either not give them outside pieces (i.e. the skin of the veggies) or, if it's not possible to avoid it, to wash it really well. There's an all-natural spray you can get from the store also that removes pesticides from the surface of fruits and veggies. It's in the produce section.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.