lost leg from new gravel??

Questions about unexpected problems.
shell
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

lost leg from new gravel??

Post by shell »

i recently added new gavel into the tank, and then 2 days later Rain lost a leg. coulit be from the new gravel?? its colored gravel that i rinsed 3 times, should i take it back out?
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: lost leg from new gravel??

Post by emmac350 »

Gravel, unless it's ultrafine gravel, should never be used as substrate for your hermit crab. If you visit http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... eslist.php that site, it will explain why gravel, as well as several other substrates, are bad for your crab. Please spend some time in the http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabcare looking at all of the information and then ask any questions you still have about hermit crab care after reading it.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
shell
Zygote
Zygote

Post by shell »

thanks for your help i'll be changing their whole tank around now and will read more into crab care.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Awesome! I'm glad that you're taking the time and energy to give your crabs a great place to live. Remember, any questions you have and can't find answers for with the search box in the upper right corner you can ask on here and we'd all love to help you!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
shell
Zygote
Zygote

Post by shell »

thank you so much, i cant believe there are people out there so nice. i'll definitely be telling the pet shop to look at this wesite to. they should learn more so they stop telling people the wrong things like they told me!!